Career change can be a long process filled with small victories and setbacks.
If you're currently going through a career change, chances are you'll need a pick-me-up or two along the way. Here are seven quotes to keep you going and inspire you along the way.
For Those Contemplating Career Change
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward."
— Amelia Earhart
This quote from the famous American aviation pioneer will really hit home if you're early in the career change process. Perhaps you have been on the fence about making a career change for a long time and just making the decision to go through with the change was a stressful process within itself. Sometimes people know in their hearts that it's time for a career change but they're scared for various reasons.
Overcoming those fears and committing to change is a victory! If you're strong enough to make that tough decision, you're also strong enough to go through the career change process and be victorious.
"Our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers."
— M. Scott Peck
This quote from the psychiatrist and best-selling author is all about getting out of your comfort zone, and that's what leaving behind one career and trying another is all about. You'll have moments of self doubt and you'll be challenged. Embrace those moments because you'll learn about yourself and push yourself to new limits. It's the best way to grow!
Inspiration For Those In The Middle Of The Career Change Process
"The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle."
— Steve Jobs
The job search process can be long and frustrating but it's important to remember that good things take time. You don't want to settle for any job, you want the RIGHT job. The job that will be professionally and personally rewarding. Don't stop until you find that job! Jobs, the founder of Apple, never settled and he did pretty well.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
— Wayne Gretzky
This a very simple quote from one of the greatest hockey players of all time but it carries so much weight. There may be times where you're hesitant to apply for a job because of a lack of experience or you don't feel that you're good enough. If you don't try, you've already failed.
Do the research, prepare accordingly and apply for the job. Even if you don't get it, you may learn something from the process that will make you a better candidate moving forward.
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."
— Barack Obama
You will undoubtedly face some setbacks along the way in your efforts to change careers. Don't dwell too long on those setbacks. Learn from there and move forward. As the 44th president of the United States alludes to, feeling sorry for yourself will only slow you down.
As You Near Your Career Change Goal
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure,"
— Colin Powell
If you were successful in your career change transition, chances are you can relate to the former U.S. secretary of state's quote. It took hard work, preparation and a little failure to accomplish your goal. You'll find that this is the recipe for most successful ventures in life.
"How dare you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?"
— Seth Godin
The sky's the limit! Never stop trying to improve and grow in your career. If you don't, you're only selling yourself short. If you ever stop growing in your career, it may be time to make another change. As the American author says in his quote, you have every opportunity to be remarkable, you just need to take it.
You can work with our career growth experts to work on things like your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile. Plus, you can join a community of like-minded professionals and build a supportive network.
- 12 Fascinating Quotes About Work-Life Balance - Work It Daily ... ›
- 21 Inspirational Career Quotes For Professionals - Work It Daily ... ›
- 10 Inspirational Career Quotes For Recent College Grads ›
- 5 Steps To Identify Transferable Skills For A Career Change - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Ways To Know When It's Time To Change Jobs - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 15 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Changing Careers - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- New Year, New Career: 3 Steps To Achieve Your Career Goals - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Positions To Consider If You Want A Career In Finance - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 10 Career Quotes That Will Inspire Any Recent College Grad - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Things Athletes Can Teach Us About Career Change - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Best Tips For A Career Change Resume - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- How To Nail Your Career Change Post-Pandemic ›
- Top 3 Reasons Why People Change Careers - Work It Daily ›
- Why You’re Terrified To Find A New Job - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Secrets To Changing Careers In Your 40s - Work It Daily ›