Amid the COVID-19 outbreak, professionals have found themselves in an uncertain period while they navigate the next steps in their careers. If you have found yourself in this predicament, don't fret; there are still ways you can grow your career.
Here are four simple ways to impress your current or future employer by maintaining motivation while life is on hold.
One key way to keep your skills fresh is to freelance! When the pandemic is over, employers will be impressed if they see that you created content while others didn't.
Find your niche and get the ball rolling. By doing this, you can start to build your personal brand outside the context of an employer. Ultimately, this will make you more marketable going forward. Here are some things to keep in mind when starting to freelance:
- Make sure you know what services you're offering
- Create a quality portfolio of your work with an updated resume
- Check out other freelancers in your field
- Ensure an exemplary experience for your clients to build your credibility
Attend A WebinarPhoto by Wes Hicks on Unsplash
Feel like you need a bit of inspiration? Find a webinar to attend that relates to your career field.
Webinars usually focus on a certain topic, so this is a great way to learn more about your career and specific interests. To find the right webinar for you, check social media sites under hashtags that interest you or event sites such as, Eventbrite. If you follow any professionals within your career, check their platforms as well for virtual events.
Build A WebsitePhoto by Domenico Loia on Unsplash
Consider building a website to show future employers and colleagues your skills and specialties on one platform. Building a website will help expand your personal brand and strengthen your online presence. This is a great way to show hiring managers your skills while you search for new career opportunities. Having your own website will allow you to utilize technology and allow you to keep up with everyone else.
Develop A New Skill
Time off is a great opportunity to hone a new skill within your field!
Pick something that you haven't had time to master in the past. Be it public speaking, a new software, or analyzing data, there are plenty of outlets available for you to learn.
Once you have tackled a new skill yourself, challenge a friend to do the same!
Want more advice on how to find career happiness? Join our career growth club today and get access to one-on-one career coaching, resume and cover letter reviews, online tutorials, and unlimited networking opportunities—all in your back pocket!
- 6 Essential Technologies To Help Your Career During COVID-19 ... ›
- 4 Tips For Job Hunting During The Coronavirus Pandemic - Work It ... ›
- 10 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Career TODAY - Work It ... ›
- 4 Ways To Freelance Successfully As A College Student ›
- 10 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Career Today - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›