4 Ways To Stop Being A Control Freak
I’m the first person to admit I’m a control freak. It’s not like I can hide it anyway. If you’ve known me for even a short period of time, chances are you’ve seen me in action. And no, I’m not proud. Being a control freak isn’t a good thing. In fact, some might call it downright annoying. Related: The 8 Delegation Myths Of The Office I used to make excuses for it: “I can’t help it!” I’d say. “That’s just the way I am!” But, ya know what? That’s not altogether true. I know when I’m being overly controlling. I feel it. Just like an alcoholic yearns for one more drink, I crave control in any situation. I see myself jumping in, taking charge, directing the flow of traffic. It’s cringe-worthy at times. And yet, I just continue to do it. So recently, I decided to take control (release control) of the situation by exploring the causes and creating strategies for how I can improve my behavior. If you’re in a similar boat, I encourage you to do the same. After all, being a control freak isn’t as likeable as it sounds.
Why Am I Such A Freak?So, is there a reason for this kind of character trait? (Note: we’re not going to call it a “flaw.” It’s just a thing that could be improved, okay?) Where does it come from? After a little research (and some self-reflection), I’ve discovered that most control issues stem from a few things. See if any of the following statements ring true for you:
- I have incredibly high standards and I don’t trust others to uphold them.
- I have high anxiety and taking a leadership role makes me feel more comfortable and calm.
- I have a fear of disorganization, failure, and chaos. If I’m in control and bad things happen, it’s my own fault. And I trust myself more than others to keep the bad stuff away.
- I have a love of the spotlight. By taking control, I often get all the credit or appreciation for a job well done.
- I have a big ego. I like to be in a position to show off my skills.
- I like to feel needed. Being the one in control makes my presence seem more important.