Hitting The Hidden Job Market: Get A Job When There Aren't Any

It’s gets pretty depressing when you have sent off your thousandth CV through a job board and receive the incredibly overused reply, “We were swamped with millions of applications for the role of Rocket Engineer." However, help is at hand! It’s estimated that only 25% of vacant jobs are advertised on the Internet, in classified ads and through recruiters. The other 75% of available jobs exist in the ‘hidden job market.' To access the ‘hidden job market’ is very easy. You only need to make a list of key companies you would like to work for and approach them directly. On many occasions, when you apply to an employer directly, you are demonstrating the exact set of skills an employer is seeking. Mike Marr, Group General Manager of Advanced Security, believes people who approach his company direct demonstrate initiative. “They are prepared to make an effort to get a job and not just send CVs via the Internet," he said. "They have taken the opportunity to seek the potential employer out.” Going direct to the ‘hidden job market’ puts the candidate in the driving seat. You scan the employment market – rather than the job market – and directly approach firms you want to work for. This takes initiative and determination, but it is often worth the effort. While it seems hard work, when you enter the hidden job market, you may also discover that you are the only candidate who is considered for an opportunity. This leaves the field wide open for those who are prepared to put in a little more extra effort.

Watch This Webinar!

Are you ready to get a job? In this engaging webinar, we will delve further into marketing and selling yourself professionally. Do this right, and you will see a real upswing in your application/interview rate! Join us for this special presentation on selling yourself to employers. Presenter: Tom O'Neil, international author, award winning motivational speaker and regular contributor in personal and career achievement. Cost: Free!   WATCH NOW ►   Photo Credit: Shutterstock  

About The Presenter

Featured in the Economist and Harvard Business Review, Tom O’Neil is an international author, award winning motivational speaker and regular contributor in personal and career achievement. He is international author of both the ‘1% Principle’ and ‘Selling Yourself to Employers’, and is also an international contributor (2008 – 2014) to the world’s best-selling personal development guide ‘What Color is Your Parachute?’    

In our new YouTube series, "Well This Happened" it's your turn to be the career coach! What would you do if you asked a coworker when the baby was due and she responded with, "I'm not pregnant." Watch the video and cast your vote b posting a comment on Youtube. We'll select one person from the correct answers at random to win free membership to the Work It Daily program. Good luck!

SHOW MORE Show less

If you've ever wondered what a Work It Daily (WID) membership could do for you, a letter we got this week provides a powerful example...

SHOW MORE Show less

There are 3 things hiring managers are trying to initially assess about you in the job interview. This video walks you through what they are looking for and offers insights into the right information to give them. Be sure to check out our free resources mentioned in the video too. They are:

SHOW MORE Show less

Last week during my Office Hours on Youtube, a client asked about how to deal with a workplace bully. After spending many years in corporate HR, I flipped to the other side and became a career therapist. So, I've seen both sides of this situation in the workplace. In this video, I discuss why people struggle to deal with bullies and what you can do to change the situation instantly.

This week, I did something that truly scared me. I sent an email to over 120,000 Work It Daily newsletter subscribers and asked them to answer the question, "What do we do?"

SHOW MORE Show less

A market correction is going to happen. When it does, layoffs will follow. I've been in the HR and recruiting industry for over two decades and have seen three recessions of varying sizes. In the video above, I explain how to tell when a recession is coming and what that means to you and your career. While many people will skip watching this. Or, will watch it and do nothing. I hope YOU are the smart, savvy professional who sees how important it is to prepare for unexpected, unwelcomed career circumstances.

SHOW MORE Show less

In this video, you'll learn how to tell if your career is plateauing due to the Executive Blues. You'll also learn what you can do to fix the problem and get your "executive energy" back so you can keep your career on track and set goals to reach new heights of success!

Want to watch the full video tutorial by J.T.?

CLICK HERE to get access!