LinkedIn Webinar: Can We Make Sense Of Modern Hiring?
In today's working world, we have "challenges" that need to be addressed, and modern hiring techniques are causing some controversy. Here are a few areas of concern:
- Unemployment is at 7.4%, but underemployment is at an all-time high.
- The majority of jobs being created today are part-time.
- Only 27% of College Grads are in a career related to their major.
- 84% of Americans want a new job.
- 58% of professionals don't seek help or resources to assist them in their career.
- 8 out of 10 applications submitted online aren't seen by human eyes.
- 80%+ of jobs are gotten via networking (akma going around online applications)
- It' estimated that there are millions of "hidden" jobs that aren't posted.
- The average recruiter spends only 6 seconds on a resume or Linkedin profile.
- Employers are stating there is a shortage of talent in America.
- Globalization is encouraging businesses to hire in parts of the world where payscales are significantly lower.
Here's What People Are SayingIn a recent post on LinkedIn, J.T. O'Donnell briefly talks about modern hiring practices. Here are a few responses from readers: John says, "One problem pointed out in a group on LinkedIn today: youth may have higher qualifications than those hiring. This will either exclude them from serving at a suitable level, or create tensions in the office. This is especially prevalent in large bureaucratic organizations. But it is sad, leading to a waste of much potential." Eylem says, "In the past 10 years employers came up with very 'creative' job descriptions where they combine multiple unrelated positions/tasks/skills into one job, and try to hire one person who can do all instead of few people and guess what they want to pay that “exceptional” person[?] Even less because they are “lucky” to have a job." Robert says, "Please have the corporate representatives address how generations that were told to go to college (and incur record debt) in order to have "good stable lives" are supposed to *feel* about American business not delivering on that cultural promise."
Do these issues concern you too? Join the discussion with our LinkedIn webinar!On September 3rd, at 1pm ET/10am PT Linkedin is hosting a *live* webinar to discuss the realities of modern hiring. (Sign up here to get get reminders and attend.) In this webinar, they will discuss the following:
- The confusing and contradictory statistics frustrating both employers and employees today.
- Whether it makes sense to focus on long-term employment as a job security or business growth strategy.
- What each of us can do right now to make the most of today's uncertain professional landscape.