Finalist for a Job, But New Opportunity Sounds Better
Dear Experts, I am in the final round of interviewing with a company and I think I'm going to get the job. The problem is I got called about an even better job, but first round interviews don't start until next week. What should I do? Can I accept the one job and keep interviewing with the new opportunity and then back out if I get that job? The new opportunity is closer to my house, pays 15% more, and the company has been around longer. It's really too good not to explore. Will backing out of the other job hurt my reputation? What should I do? Here is how our T.A.P. experts answered this question: Q#334 Speak to the second employer, explain how you would prefer to work with them, and see what they can do. (@gradversity) Q#334 If u backout u hv nothing. no gty's that u will get new oppty. make decision and stick 2 it. it's a small world. (@DebraWheatman) [1/2] Q#334 If u take job and then quit, u will burn a bridge for sure. u need to think about the longer term repercussions. (@DebraWheatman) [2/2] Q#334 This isn't even certain yet. Check 2 see if U can interview early. Hold potential offer as long as U can. (@beneubanks) Q#334 Assume everything on company email is being read. 2. Don't use company email for personal. Period. (@resumestrategy) Q#334 Go on interview. Don't have 1st job YET! Also, backing out before you start is better than a month after. (@jtodonnell) Q#334 Yes, may want to nudge 2nd company 2 see if can push up interview (express sincere interest/sense of urgency). (@ValueIntoWords) [2/2] Q#334 Focus on 'bird in hand' - deal with potential other offer (if it gels) WHEN it happens. Is good problem. (@ValueIntoWords) [1/2] Q#334 Probably u'll have 2 decide if get offer b/c rare in this mkt 4 emprs 2 wait; they have other options. (@juliaerickson) Q#334 Best not 2 take/quit job; take step at time. If get offer, cn ask 2 delay & tell other emp'r abt offer. (@juliaerickson) Q#334 This happened 2 me once. I asked the 1st company 4 an extension of their offer by10 days. They agreed. (@JoshuaWaldman) Our Twitter Advice Project (T.A.P.) is no longer an active campaign. To find an answer to the above question, please use the "Search" box in the right-hand column of this website.