Home Uncategorized Finalist for a Job, But New Opportunity Sounds Better

Finalist for a Job, But New Opportunity Sounds Better

0

Dear Experts,

I am in the final round of interviewing with a company and I think I’m going to get the job. The problem is I got called about an even better job, but first round interviews don’t start until next week.

What should I do? Can I accept the one job and keep interviewing with the new opportunity and then back out if I get that job? The new opportunity is closer to my house, pays 15% more, and the company has been around longer.

It’s really too good not to explore. Will backing out of the other job hurt my reputation? What should I do?

Here is how our T.A.P. experts answered this question:

Q#334 Speak to the second employer, explain how you would prefer to work with them, and see what they can do. (@gradversity)

Q#334 If u backout u hv nothing. no gty’s that u will get new oppty. make decision and stick 2 it. it’s a small world. (@DebraWheatman) [1/2]

Q#334 If u take job and then quit, u will burn a bridge for sure. u need to think about the longer term repercussions. (@DebraWheatman) [2/2]

Q#334 This isn’t even certain yet. Check 2 see if U can interview early. Hold potential offer as long as U can. (@beneubanks)

Q#334 Assume everything on company email is being read. 2. Don’t use company email for personal. Period. (@resumestrategy)

Q#334 Go on interview. Don’t have 1st job YET! Also, backing out before you start is better than a month after. (@jtodonnell)

Q#334 Yes, may want to nudge 2nd company 2 see if can push up interview (express sincere interest/sense of urgency). (@ValueIntoWords) [2/2]

Q#334 Focus on ‘bird in hand’ – deal with potential other offer (if it gels) WHEN it happens. Is good problem. (@ValueIntoWords) [1/2]

Q#334 Probably u’ll have 2 decide if get offer b/c rare in this mkt 4 emprs 2 wait; they have other options. (@juliaerickson)

Q#334 Best not 2 take/quit job; take step at time. If get offer, cn ask 2 delay & tell other emp’r abt offer. (@juliaerickson)

Q#334 This happened 2 me once. I asked the 1st company 4 an extension of their offer by10 days. They agreed. (@JoshuaWaldman)


Our Twitter Advice Project (T.A.P.) is no longer an active campaign. To find an answer to the above question, please use the “Search” box in the right-hand column of this website.

Work It Daily

This career advice site provides daily personal branding tips and job search advice from approved career experts and businesses to over 1,000,000 visitors each month.