As a kid, I remember thinking teachers had great jobs because they got to take summers off. I didn't quite grasp the challenges of the position nor did I understand that, unlike their students, teachers do not spend the summer at sleep-away camp or catching up on video games.
To learn more please go to: https://www.workitdaily.com/privacy
Trying to land that first (or second) teaching job can be a nerve-wracking experience. While some areas are in desperate need of qualified teachers, other markets are flooded with candidates. Having a professional, attention-grabbing cover letter and portfolio can make all the difference when trying to impress a hiring committee.
1. Be Persistent And Personable<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzMwMTg5NC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY0ODY0MTAzMn0.C0h6lpPgtwR6ot1Og6p-qhPV4mmR-NUKfjkox_1yQoA/img.jpg?width=980" id="1cde5" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="7ae38ba9d0d238c92f5ed0ad24079886" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Teacher shakes hands with a principal during her job search" /><p>As a teacher, you want districts to remember you. <em>Education Week</em> surveyed a group of teachers for advice on obtaining a teaching career. When applying for a job, it is more personable to drop off your application in person and introduce yourself to an administrator, if possible. This puts a face with a name.</p><p>As far as being persistent, send out resumes monthly so you are less likely to be forgotten. Call to ensure that districts have received your applications and write <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/tips-writing-thank-you-note" target="_blank">thank you notes</a> when given interview opportunities.</p>
2. Write A Disruptive Cover Letter<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzMwMjI2OS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYxNDA4MDMwNX0.erM_TZZ1rju_CVlGuLL7Tmf49xPjB_7yqgG_bazY25s/img.jpg?width=980" id="813db" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="f9392c6ab31573c30a0b1b243b80c5f1" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Teacher writes a disruptive cover letter during his job search" /><p>Disruptive cover letters are essential in any job search. For teachers, it is important to personalize each cover letter for the school to which you are applying.</p><p>Your <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/writing-disruptive-cover-letter" target="_blank">disruptive cover letter</a> should be formal, addressed to the person responsible for hiring with the appropriate title and his or her name (Mr., Mrs., etc). Make the cover letter personal, so that it expresses your enthusiasm and passion for the teaching profession. Make it clear that you are knowledgeable about the school that you are applying to and sincerely desire to work there.</p><p>Also, be meticulous with checking your grammar and spelling. Errors can prevent you from getting an interview.</p>
3. Carefully Complete The Application<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzMwMjI3My9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1ODUzMTU0MX0.FiImVdTAUmxNnCz_uM8cbOvPeODtMmIa1QjZVGEHIPs/img.jpg?width=980" id="472b8" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="3de88349bad623feb9fd6e3abb443963" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Teacher completes a job application during her job search" /><p><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2012/oct/31/teacher-training-tips-write-winning-job-application" target="_blank"><em>The Guardian</em></a> emphasizes that your application be neat and thorough. Since teachers should be technologically literate, type your application, unless you are specifically asked to hand-write it.</p><p>Make sure all of your employment history dates are correct and that you do not leave any gaps. This is actually a common mistake and could send your application to the bottom of the pile. If you have <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/how-to-explain-job-gap-resume" target="_blank">gaps in your employment history</a>, explain why.<br></p>
4. Have A Professional CV, Resume, And Portfolio<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzMwMjgwOS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNjI4MzI1NX0.XRyYqJ_MQpu2FXzVeqPGxvfIBoprC6xUdywk-r6fCeY/img.jpg?width=980" id="6573c" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="e8f75c8aa27ccc96cbc95d6f8b442140" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Teacher creates a CV, resume, and portfolio for his job search" /><p>Have a polished and professional curriculum vitae or resume when applying for a teaching position. Anything longer than two pages is usually too much for a hiring committee to review.</p><p>Your resume or CV should have a <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/resume-formatting-tips" target="_blank">clean, reader-friendly format</a> with up-to-date information. Include your identifying information at the top, types of certifications with endorsements and certificate numbers, teaching experiences with job titles, locations and related experiences.</p><p>Also, having a portfolio can give you an extra edge during the interview. In your portfolio, include your teaching philosophy and evidence of work that you have completed.</p>
5. Practice Your Interviewing Skills<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzMwMzI2My9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyMjk0MTExMn0.1WhqN1YTH0wN4kWxfZBkZptmNIbRCw3X4Jq711bCMsU/img.jpg?width=980" id="3b2a3" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="fcbfa0ca63b8e51d174fcb8410a06618" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Teacher interviews for a position at a new school" /><p>The teachers surveyed by <em>Education Week</em> offered the following tips:<br></p><ul><li>Study the school where you are interviewing and practice <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/mock-interview-tips" target="_blank">mock interviews</a> with peers or family members.</li><li>Dress professionally and express your gratitude for being given the interview opportunity.</li><li>While you should be prepared to answer a variety of questions, be sincere with your answers so you do not sound rehearsed.</li><li>Most importantly, be yourself and let your passion show.</li></ul>
Perhaps the most intimidating aspect of leadership is knowing that in addition to playing an important role in a team's success, leaders are held responsible for their team's failures.
In order to obtain great results from their teams, leaders must be able to consistently motivate their team members.
Focus On Communication<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMDk1OTM2NC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYwNTQ3MTA5OH0.y3JIr3BLsttb4SpMhq5mavqO_EnwTjmDRqGp2oorPPk/img.jpg?width=980" id="e784f" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="d8727933903439e1a0e8d22633b45272" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Female boss using her leadership skills at a work meeting." /><p>Clear communication is an important part of any successful relationship, and the relationship between leader and team member is no different. </p><p>Express your ideas clearly, making sure employees understand what you're asking of them. Create a conversation-friendly environment, and give employees the freedom to express their thoughts and concerns. Team members are more willing to trust a leader with whom they are able to openly communicate.</p><p>Want to learn more about your communication style in the workplace? <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/st/isat" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">This free quiz will help you out.</a></p>
Understand That Wrong Can Be Right<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMDk1OTk5MS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1OTcxMDkxNn0.6kXQo8_t5f5CRGFOSXenR_3FSKLSry-WJggj_Fnjk3Y/img.jpg?width=980" id="cf8d3" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="cf3a41d099c4f3b2758297096e1de027" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Male leader using his leadership skills by giving constructive feedback to a member of his team." /><p>Encourage creativity by allowing team members to be wrong. </p><p>Making mistakes is an inherent part of the creative process. If employees know they won't be punished for coming up with an atypical idea or solution, they will be inspired to think outside the box and take more chances, leading to the creation of better, more innovative ideas.</p>
Look Into The Future<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMDk2MDg0Ny9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYwOTk3NDE5M30.siyyreEXheAH1wSNNYNMXODMoX8s5Ay3ijytVkdtLvQ/img.jpg?width=980" id="b7acb" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="eb6e9b700415c52cc11bc974cbbcf11c" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Man using his leadership skills during group presentation." /><p>Express your exceptional and positive vision for the future. </p><p>A leader with a plan is the easiest leader to follow. Once aware of the team's goal, each member will strive to do his/her part to aid in the completion of the objective, thus ensuring not only the motivation of each individual, but the unification of your team as well.</p>
Realize Passion Is Contagious<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMDk2MDMxNi9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYxMjczOTg3Mn0.054THnliLsj-UN5bCb5aopm4sqF5_XgolCWq86la8Dg/img.jpg?width=980" id="ad55b" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="176219539bf38e8ca835510e0c9c6e72" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Young leader showing passion and further developing his leadership skills in the office." /><p>Share your passion for your work with your team members. </p><p>If a leader is enthusiastic and believes in the work, while recognizing the hurdles that the team will encounter, employees will continue to do the same. </p><p>This is especially true in an environment rife with obstacles and results that aren't easily quantifiable, such as a school. As a principal, constant reiteration of a strong belief in the school's role in impacting the lives of young people can both unite and <a href="http://teach.com/" target="_blank">inspire the school's</a> faculty and staff, even when faced with challenges.</p>
Know Yourself<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMDk2MTE0NS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2MDA4OTk5MH0.a0z73-ssDSDGsdSxDIQ7xZVbPmuOv4m5YSFcSlTt-dA/img.jpg?width=980" id="9cbee" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="b219f78431b37e19777f5f45be032f3e" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Female boss displaying her leadership skills at the office." /><p>Identify your strengths and weaknesses. </p><p>One helpful approach to this is feedback analysis, as outlined by Peter Drucker in "<a href="http://hbr.org/2005/01/managing-oneself/ar/1" target="_blank">Managing Oneself</a>" in the <em>Harvard Business Review</em>. Feedback analysis consists of writing down your expectations after making an important decision, and after nine or 12 months have passed, comparing what actually happened with your expectations. </p><p>This helps leaders pinpoint exactly where they excelled and where they fell short, so they can improve upon their shortcomings in the future.</p>
Nursing is one of the most demanding careers to go into, but it's also one of the most rewarding. It's also a career that's expected to see a lot of growth by 2026, which means more nursing jobs are expected to be created.
In addition to having solid health care skills, those who succeed in the nursing profession possess unique qualities of character and spirit.
1. Compassion<span style="display:block;position:relative;padding-top:56.25%;" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="a43284e78760b6372dbd7ea8d30fa24f"><iframe lazy-loadable="true" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sjuJq5p7sps?rel=0" width="100%" height="auto" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;"></iframe></span><p>A nurse must be drawn to caring for the sick and injured. This includes having empathy for the pain and suffering of patients, as well as a strong desire to make the hospital experience as positive as possible. </p>
2. Communication<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjY2Mi9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYxNjQzMjEwNn0.h4SooJ0OUOxV4ty-fgtx9JqWUtsRNEIIhMMFiQ62OAQ/img.jpg?width=980" id="ffba3" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="7f17b2deb579214f4271c754aa79968f" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>Since a nurse is often a patient's advocate as well as a link between family members and hospital staff, the ability to effectively speak and listen is critically important. Nurses in the research and education sectors also must be able to communicate and collaborate effectively.</p>
3. Ethics<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjY4OS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYwNjIyOTMzMn0.7CipSbC6_5V127JVI_yGWAefrbBSp79wFVskSMi4cCY/img.jpg?width=980" id="88907" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="67a936c1702ebd7211485f0c54950e34" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>A nurse needs a solid framework of ethics that will guide personal and professional conduct. This framework should include a commitment to humanitarian service and concern for the dignity of all patients.</p>
4. Critical Thinking<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjcwMi9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyNzA1MjM1M30.biAAhDihMpQ2A83YyH9CPOTkLOyWVCOpRLdWVPiLLIU/img.jpg?width=980" id="68366" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="3fdd434987a1293757c52d592a98eadd" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>Nurses are faced with important choices on a daily basis and must be able to use critical thinking to aid in decision-making. Furthermore, nurses who are involved in policy-making need critical thinking in order to successfully improve health care for all members of society.</p>
5. Attention To Detail<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjc0OC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzMDM5OTkyNn0.o9sRGccJHTmIi9mbE7kVYtAtfXOAHUUHK8Lhlldsw7E/img.jpg?width=980" id="85a36" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="f35976c2ce182752688e8955efcd0306" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>A nurse's actions on the job can have far-reaching consequences. Whether you're a <a href="http://online.nursing.georgetown.edu/academics/family-nurse-practitioner-fnp/" target="_blank">family nurse practitioner</a> or <a href="http://online.nursing.georgetown.edu/academics/nurse-midwifery-womens-health-nurse-practitioner/" target="_blank">nurse midwife</a>, even the smallest mistake may have tragic results, therefore, strict attention to detail must be second nature for a nurse.</p>
6. Confidence<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjc0MS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1NzMwMjU2N30.lXsCp6Ad3bv1jQbCS4gX8nG8HHO6dAanQlaAqAL7ETI/img.jpg?width=980" id="b47d3" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="c424036f3b4694549f32bdc11e1aa86d" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>Nurses must be confident they have the skills and knowledge to provide the best possible care. They must be able to work independently with little supervision, knowing they will get the job done. Self-doubt can be dangerous when a nurse is faced with a critical situation. </p>
7. Adaptability<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjc1OS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1MzI4NDk1Nn0.IadQjJUUmW1GKGR7px4e45y-vYm81X-cBTCAny-02RQ/img.jpg?width=980" id="15d2f" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="d7111ffc28c743535f5e19dcfa902deb" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>Flexibility and the ability to adapt are especially important for nurses. Like doctors, nurses are often required to work long hours. They must also deal with fluctuating schedules. As a result, the ability to cope with long days becomes paramount.</p>
8. Stamina<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjY3NC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY0Mzc1NDM4M30.CcUXrNMbREED1EIPvCLAanx7RXdpHCrhoaAiyyxNszU/img.jpg?width=980" id="6fc10" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="a90f8577e2da8510d636131b70763ac1" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>Nursing is a demanding profession that requires physical, mental and emotional strength. An effective nurse needs a high energy level and a healthy lifestyle in order to succeed.</p>
9. Commitment To Development<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8xOTgxNjc2OS9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1Mzk0ODMwNn0.Sj8SlNM-83rzCeURmc7-qsUi5XJYQBnVoYEMZyp6Al0/img.jpg?width=980" id="b80e2" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="7f3df9fe4981d22a69b4212712ae4e66" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" /><p>Health care is a dynamic field. In order to stay current, a successful nurse is dedicated to continuing education and participation in professional organizations.</p>
Are you about to enter the job market from college and nurturing a dream of landing a job abroad? Your dream may be more attainable than you think. Thousands of recent college graduates (as well as many working professionals) are finding short and long-term job opportunities abroad. Whether you're looking for adventure before settling down to a career or plan to stay abroad for several years, finding a job in another country may be easier than you think. Before beginning your job search, assess your attractiveness to employers. Do you have special knowledge and skills, an advanced degree or professional experience that will justify an employer hiring you? Don't forget to consider your English language skills – in many countries this will be a plus.
Cover letters are one of those application requirements everyone seems to have an opinion about. Some people feel that cover letters are important, that they demonstrate a sense of professionalism and offer applicants an opportunity to provide information that a resume may not adequately communicate. Others see them as a waste of time, the sort of requirement that has little benefit but opens the door to an applicant accidentally making a poor impression. Related: Does Your Cover Letter Make These 5 Critical Mistakes? To put this discussion into perspective, here are some answers from employment experts to the question, "Do cover letters matter?"
Blogging has become a viable marketing tool for professionals who are applying for work or those who are trying to establish a personal brand. Below are some proven techniques for creating a great blog. Follow these five tips to create a professional blog that will impress the interviewers you’re talking to and attract the readers you’re looking for.
It’s a thrilling experience to walk across the stage to receive your college diploma. However, graduating requires some major decision making. Where will you live? Where will you work? What job will you find the most fulfilling? Related: Why Teaching Is Not A Back-Up Career If you have decided that you want to become a teacher, then you can look forward to a satisfying teaching career enriching the lives of youth. But it's not as simple as applying for any position that looks interesting and waiting to hear back from an administrator. The path to becoming a teacher is rigorous, and you need to meet specific state certification requirements as well as compete for your desirable position. Here are some tips to jump-start your teaching career: