In these tough times, it is absolutely critical you continue to demonstrate your value to your employer, clients, and colleagues on a daily basis. Adding value is THE buzzword for “safe-guarding” your career and propelling yourself to the top of your profession.
(Psst! Can’t get hired? Watch this free tutorial.)
Showing initiative is a must-do in demonstrating your value at work. Initiative correlates strongly with personal achievement and professional development. It is the act of taking personal responsibility for your growth, and it is a clear sign of your capacity to develop as a leader.
So, what are you waiting for? Take action today; don’t wait to be asked – be proactive. Consider the following ideas for lighting the fire of initiative in your daily work life:
- Always be alert for ways to make something work better. Make the suggestion.Volunteer to take ownership for getting it done.
- Take it upon yourself be the first to adopt and implement the newest company policy.
- Stay alert for ideas to simplify processes, and find new and better ways of doing things. Proactively suggest those improvement ideas. Be the example for implementing those processes.
- Stay alert for ways to save money and reduce costs. “Raise your hand” to communicate those suggestions as quickly as possible.
- Reach out to colleagues and team members who need help.
- Be the first to volunteer for those tough projects and assignments.
- Always think ahead. Preempt likely obstacles with well-thought-out plans that take those obstacles into consideration.
- Provide, in advance, the answers to the questions you know are going to be asked. “Think like your boss/manager” and consider all deliverables from their perspective before you submit them. Always review your work from the elevation of “30,000 feet.”
- Always do your homework; always be prepared. Read the material in advance, research the subject matter in advance, dig in and immerse yourself in the topic at hand
- Deal with problems immediately; take action and be decisive. Get it done, and get it behind you as quickly as possible.
Make it happen! Be a role model for showing initiative; demonstrate your capacity as a leader. Make the choice to lead with action and initiative; your value will soar.
Are you ready to get HIRED?
Watch our free tutorial “8 Ways You’re Being SHUT OUT Of The Hiring Process” with career expert J.T. O’Donnell to find out what’s holding you back from getting hired… and how to fix it! WATCH NOW
This post was originally published at an earlier date.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock