Can someone really strive to be happy at work? I mean, after all, it's called work. Is work supposed to be a source of happiness for us?
I happen to believe work can be a source of happiness and you can strive to be happy at work. Entirely possible. I've seen people who are happier at work than anywhere else. And they are perfectly healthy people.
Here are six tips to follow if you're sick of being miserable and want to learn how to be happy at work.
1. Stop Complaining
I think one of the biggest challenges of people being unable to be happy at work is really due to all of the complaining. Add to it all the gossip and rumors, and it makes a very difficult environment to try to build some joy and happiness.
I suggest, tough as it may be, avoid complaining. In fact, stop complaining. When you distance yourself from negativity, you will quite naturally be happy at work. Or at least, feel a little happier. Don't feel the need to complain as if it will resolve the issue. If you need to, discuss the challenge. Then, find a way to diffuse it. Otherwise, I suggest you just stop. Resist complaining.
2. Build Affinity
What does this mean? Humans are social animals. We need others to connect. Learn to relate to others not just on the professional end but also on the personal side as well. Who knows? You may share some common interests with your colleagues and work suddenly does not feel boring.
There are common topics to talk about. Help others when you can. That is a way to build affinity with your co-workers. You will also sense energy within yourself because you are able to contribute beyond your regular work scope. Do not help by expecting others to return a favor though. You will be disappointed when others do not reciprocate. Help because you can and are willing.
3. Look For Connections
Sometimes you may not know it, but you may feel unhappy at work because you do not really know your role within the bigger organization.
Look for connections and try to understand your work. Where do you fit in within your company? How do you contribute to the profits of the company? How do you add value to the organization? Look for these connections and keep learning new things. When you understand the bigger picture, you will understand your role and hence feel happier doing your job.
4. Figure Out What Work Means To You
Work means different things to different people. What does work mean to you? Is it something that puts bread on the table and that's all? Or do you look to work to fulfill other aspects of your life? Try to understand what your relationship with work is if you want to be happy at work.
5. Know Your Destination
Where do you want to be? How does this job contribute to your goals? Give yourself a goal. When you feel unhappy, you can always remind yourself of the bigger goal and how what you are doing now contributes to it. Seeing your goal and how your job contributes to it can help you feel happy at work.
6. Learn To Accept And Manage Disappointments
Learn to accept and manage disappointments with people and with work. Nothing is perfect and situations are always in a flux. So, don't be too attached to the idea that you should be happy at work. Strive to be happy, but if that's not possible, learn to accept that it is a fact of life.
You can find a way to be happy at work. I believe the secret is in understanding your role, your relationship with work, how you relate to people, and how willing you are to be nice and stop complaining. Above and beyond that, learn to accept that disappointments come and go.
Want to find a better job? We can help!
Check out our FREE resources page!
Struggling to find the right job?
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 5 Tips For Reclaiming Your Career & Finding Happiness - Work It ... ›
- 4 Simple Ways To Be Happier At Work - Work It Daily ›
- 7 Ways Women Can Find Career Satisfaction (And Happiness ... ›
- 3 Simple Ways To Be Instantly Happier At Work - Work It Daily ›
- 9 Ways To Be Happy In A Job You Don't Like - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways To Boost Your Self-Confidence And Happiness At Work ... ›
- Dread Going To Work? How To Deal With The Feeling - Work It Daily ›
- Why You're TERRIFIED To Find A New Job (Even If You're ... ›
- 7 Reasons You're Unhappy At Work (And How To Fix It) - Work It Daily ›
- 10 Reasons Why Happy People Get More Job Opportunities - Work It Daily ›
- 7 Reasons Why You're Unhappy At Work (And How To Fix It) - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways To Have A Great Day At Work - Work It Daily ›
- Why You’re Terrified To Find A New Job - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways To Boost Your Self-Confidence And Happiness At Work - Work It Daily ›
- How To Boost Happiness At Work - Work It Daily ›