How To Build Positive Workplace Relationships
Building workplace relationships is an important component of being successful in your career. This doesn’t mean you need to be completely extroverted in every situation, but it does mean you need to make an effort to get to know the people with whom you work and learn about what skills and abilities they bring to the table.
Although you are at work to do a job, it will be a much more pleasant experience if you enjoy the company of the people on your team or in your department, so try to get off to a good start.
The expression about only getting one chance to make a first impression is absolutely true, so make sure you put your best foot forward each and every time you have an opportunity to build new workplace relationships. If you’re giving your best effort every day, your co-workers will begin to realize they can depend on you to do a good job.
Also, as hard as it may be sometimes, try to have a good attitude at work. No one likes to work with someone who is constantly negative and complains about every little task.
Tips For Building Positive Workplace Relationships
Here are a few additional tips to encourage positive workplace relationships:
- Be friendly and encouraging to co-workers.
- Be responsible. If you say you’re going to do something, do it. If you’re unable to complete a task for some reason, make sure information is communicated to all team members who would be impacted.
- If you share an office, be considerate. Find out how your office mate works and be respectful. For example, some people need to work in complete silence, while others enjoy background music. Make sure you’re not inadvertently making your office mate crazy with your personal habits.
- Understand that people are unique and dwell on their positive qualities, not their negative qualities. It’s acceptable to not be friends with everyone, but try to at least be professional and cordial in your interactions.
- Rise above office gossip. No one wants to earn the reputation of being the office busybody.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate! Your co-workers are not mindreaders, so make sure you’re communicating with them and your manager on a regular basis.
Need more help with your career?
We'd love it if you signed up for Work It Daily's Power Hour Event Subscription! Get your career questions answered in our next live event!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 5 Fun Summer Work Activities For Bonding With Your Coworkers ... ›
- How To Deal With A Horrible Co-Worker - Work It Daily ›
- Easy Tips For Building Productive Workplace Relationships - Work It ... ›
- 5 Ways To Connect With Your Co-Workers - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Tips For Becoming The Co-Worker Everyone Loves - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Tips For Dealing With Difficult Co-Workers - Work It Daily ›
- 10 TERRIBLE Habits That Make You An Unbearable Co-Worker ... ›
- 7 Fun Ways To Bond With Your Co-Workers ›
- Villanelle or Eve: Who would you want as your new coworker? - Work It Daily ›