You've just spent the last forty-five minutes answering questions from a hiring manager. You gave it all you had. You think you did okay. The hiring manager seemed to smile and nod a lot when you were speaking. Then, suddenly, she asks, "Do you have any questions for me?"
While your initial instinct might be to quit while you are ahead and say, "No. I'm good," the right thing to do is ask a set of strategic questions designed to help you stand out and get the job.
4 C's Of Interview Questions
In the video above, I map out why you need a strategy for asking questions in the interview.
If you don't know what to ask and why, you will not only miss out on the opportunity to make a good impression, but also fail to get the insights you need to determine if this employer is right for you.
The secret to asking great questions in an interview is to use the following four C's as your guidelines:
- Corporate culture
- Company challenges
- Closing conversation
When you use these correctly, you can craft questions that will make you look friendly, collaborative, well-researched, and professional—all great qualities to display to a hiring manager during a job interview!
8 Simple Interview Questions You Can Ask A Hiring Manager (That Support The 4 C's Mentioned Above):
- How did you come to work here? (CONNECT)
- What do you love most about working here? (CONNECT)
- Who's the most successful person hired here in the last year and how have they succeeded? (CORPORATE CULTURE)
- Who's been least successful person hired and what did they do wrong? (CORPORATE CULTURE)
- What's the biggest challenge the company will face this year and how will it be overcome? (COMPANY CHALLENGES)
- As an employee, what can I do to make a difference an have an impact on the company this year? (COMPANY CHALLENGES)
- Is there anything about my candidacy that you would change to make me a better fit for this job? (CLOSE CONVERSATION)
- What are the next steps in the hiring process? (CLOSE CONVERSATION)
NOTE: To learn exactly why these are the prefect questions to ask, watch the video above.
You'll impress the hiring manager if you ask these eight questions during your next job interview. But don't just do it to stand out. Ask these questions to better figure out if you really want to work at this certain company.
It's your career. You want to make sure you're making the right decision for YOU!
There's no better way to do that than remembering the four C's and asking the eight questions above.
Looking for a job? We can help!
Join our career growth club today and get access to one-on-one career coaching, resume and cover letter reviews, online tutorials, and unlimited networking opportunities—all in your back pocket!
If you want FREE career advice in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter The Daily Dose!
This post was originally published at an earlier date.
- 7 Essential Questions To Ask In A Job Interview - Work It Daily ... ›
- JT Talks Jobs - 3 Interview Questions To Ask Post-Crisis - Work It ... ›
- 4 Best Questions To Ask In A Phone Interview - Work It Daily | Where ... ›
- How To Get Hired This Fall At Companies Like Amazon - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Simple Ways To Connect With Your Interviewer - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Important Questions To Ask At A Job Interview - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Important Questions To Ask At The End Of A Job Interview - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 6 Things Hiring Managers Want To See From Job Candidates - Work It Daily ›