By Debra Wheatman
- What do you enjoy spending your time doing? Keep a list of these things to allow you to incorporate these interests in your career pursuits.
- What motivates you? If you understand what your motivations are, you are more likely to remain happy and engaged.
- What skills would you like to develop? Consider taking a class to improve in an area where you know you need some help.
- Do you know yourself? If you recognize that you really enjoy working in a team environment, you will likely want to pursue an opportunity that will have a strong component of interaction with others.
- What are your goals? You will need to make decisions that result in actions to meet short- and long-term objectives. Establishing your goals will allow you to understand and identify the training you will need for success.
- A compelling and results oriented résumé and cover letter to help you stand out from the crowd.
- Leveraging social networking to gain exposure to people and situations where ongoing communication can help you.
- Training in effective interviewing to ensure you deliver and maintain a positive personal brand throughout the job search process.
- Conducting effective salary negotiations to ensure that you are properly compensated for your professional efforts.