Interview Questions For Veterinarians
You have it made, right? You've got an interview coming up for a veterinarian opening and you know that you are a fantastic veterinarian and can perform a routine vet exam in no time flat, diagnose an ailing animal and perform a difficult surgery without breaking a sweat. All you need to worry about is the salary offer and what you're going to wear... but what about interview questions for veterinarians? Well, here's the real deal. You can, from a technical standpoint, be the greatest veterinarian that ever walked the planet, but not be someone who is an ideal candidate. Something to truly consider before your interview is what kind of questions that you might be asked during an interview. Remember, it won't all be about your skills and talent.
Interview Questions For VeterinariansThings aren't as simple as knowing how to do the job. You have to be relatable, not just to animals but to people as well. Here are several questions you should prepare yourself for when the big day arrives.
General PreparationMake sure and bring the following:
- A copy of your resume and any certification letters you have
- Letters of recommendation/references
- List of questions to ask the interviewer
- Describe yourself
- Describe your strengths/weaknesses
- How do you cope with stress?
- How would your friends describe you?
General Questions And Ethics
- What makes you a good veterinarian?
- What do you think a veterinarian's role is in the community?
- What made you decide to be a veterinarian?
- How do you feel about euthanasia? Why?
- What would you do if there are obvious signs that an animal you are treating has been abused?
- What would you do if a client comes in with an injured animal that will surely die without medical attention, but they only have a few dollars and the cost for animal care, and extended care, will be much higher than what they are able to pay?
- If a client brings in a perfectly healthy animal and wants to euthanize it because they no longer want the dog, what do you do?
- If you make a mistake and cause the death of an animal, what would you do?
- What is the most difficult situation you've been faced with since you got in veterinary medicine? How did you handle it?
- Describe any previous experience. What did you like and dislike about it?
- How do you do stay up to date in the field of veterinary medicine?
Future And Other Interests
- What do you do in your free time? Any hobbies?
- What was the last book you read?
- Do you have any volunteer experience?
- Do you have any questions for us?