Feedback, in the world of business, is the breakfast of champions. Feedback "feeds" us. It's at the top of the food pyramid for learning and professional development. How often do you ask for feedback?
Feedback can be humbling, it can be eye-opening, and it can bring awareness to us of things that we're simply "blind" to. But if we don't ask for it, we usually don't receive it—particularly the constructive form. Many or most people will give us positive feedback, but very few will give us honest, candid feedback focused on how we can improve, how we can get better, or things we SHOULD change or do differently.
Make ASKING For Feedback A Habit
Seek feedback from others:
- Following a meeting in which you participated
- After giving a presentation
- In follow up to a networking event
- Anytime you're in front of others
Ask an observer (a colleague, a friend, a peer, a direct report, a mentor, a panel member, or a participant):
- How did you do overall?
- Was your message clear?
- Did you seem to listen well?
- Was your body language in alignment with your message?
- Did you seek input from others?
- Did you show respect for others' time?
- Did you leave a positive impression?
- Were you friendly?
Seeking feedback communicates a clear message that you care, that personal excellence is important to you, and that learning and getting better are a priority. Feedback is a highly effective learning tool, but like any other tool, if left in the toolbox, it does you no good. Use it. Solicit feedback often. Make feedback a habit, and you'll successfully develop yourself as a professional.
If you're looking for more ways to enhance your professional development, we can help.
We'd love it if you joined our FREE community. It’s a private, online platform where workers, just like you, are coming together to learn and grow into powerful Workplace Renegades.
Join our FREE community today to finally become an empowered business-of-one!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 5 Easy Ways To Develop Your Leadership Skills - Work It Daily ›
- Why Performance Reviews Are Important (And Helpful!) - Work It Daily ›
- 10 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Career Today - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Benefits Of A Mock Interview - Work It Daily ›