A common interview question employers ask during job interviews is, "Why are you interested in this position?" They want to know why you want to work at their company, and the specific motivation behind why you applied for the job (not that you need a paycheck).
Knowing how to answer interview questions well is always important, especially with this question.
To persuade the employer that you have a true connection to the company and a passion for the job you applied for, your answer to this interview question should start with, "I'm interested in this job, at this company, because…" and then list at least three reasons why you want to work there.
Here is how you should structure your answer to the interview question, "Why are you interested in this job?"
Reason #1 – Professional Fit
Your first reason should always show fit in terms of professional skills.
Example: "I'm interested in this job because I can see that, in this role, my skills could help solve this problem within your company. I also see an opportunity for me to learn and grow these skills, so we both would benefit personally, professionally, and financially. If I can come in here and solve problems and accomplish your goals, I know I can develop my career the way that I want to."
This part of your answer lets them know that you are excited about what you will be able to accomplish for them, while still emphasizing what they are getting out of the bargain. You need to sell yourself as a business-of-one who can provide a service better than the competition.
Reason #2 – Cultural Fit
Your second reason when answering, "Why are you interested in this job?" also shows fit, but in a different way.
Example: "Also, I like the culture of this organization. From what I've heard and what I've been reading about the company, it seems like a great fit for my personality and my values. I really connect with your mission statement, and feel passionate about the work that you do."
This is a general answer, so if you can be more specific by actually naming a couple of things you've heard or read about the company's workplace culture that you like, it will help your cause. This is one area where your pre-interview research is critical.
Here are a few things you may want to look for when you research the company:
- Is this a top company in the field/industry?
- Is this company known for cutting-edge products or other innovations?
- Does this company have a great reputation for customer service?
- Is this company known for being a great place to work?
- Does this company value and/or provide resources for employee development?
Mention those things that truly speak to you and your values so your sincerity shows.
Reason #3 – Personal Fit
Wrap up your answer to this interview question with something that personalizes it a bit more.
- "And this job is in a great location for me. I've always wanted to move here."
- "And this job is only five minutes from my house, so eliminating the commute is a big plus."
- "And I've always used your products, and I just love them. I am really excited about being a part of that."
Say something that gives you another reason of your own for wanting this job. This interview answer is a fantastic place to let your enthusiasm for the job show. It's very appealing to employers, and it gives them one more reason to hire you.
Download Work It Daily's FREE list of common interview questions here.
You'll have a very clear and thorough answer to the question, "Why are you interested in this job?" if you follow the formula above. Set yourself apart from the competition today!
Are you struggling to answer other common interview questions? We can help.
We'd love it if you joined our FREE community. It’s a private, online platform where workers, just like you, are coming together to learn and grow into powerful Workplace Renegades. More importantly, we have tons of resources inside our community that can help you prepare for your next job interview.
It's time to find work that makes you feel happy, satisfied, and fulfilled. Join our FREE community today to finally become an empowered business-of-one!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 7 Most Common Interview Questions And Answers - Work It Daily ... ›
- 10 Mistakes That Can Ruin Any Interview - Work It Daily | Where ... ›
- The Simple 3-Step Method To Answering "What Do You Do?" - Work ... ›
- 4 Tips For Answering Interview Questions - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 4 Signs That A Company Isn't Right For You - Work It Daily ›
- THIS Is What Employers Want You To Say In Job Interviews! - Work It Daily ›
- 6 Ways To Be Interesting During Your Interview - Work It Daily ›
- 3 Simple Ways To Determine If A Job Is A Good Fit For You - Work It Daily ›
- 3 Tips On How To Answer "Why Should We Hire You?" - Work It Daily ›
- How To Respond To A Recruiter About A Job ›
- 4 Things To Understand About The Job Offer Letter & Package - Work It Daily ›
- #1 Reason You're Not Getting Job Offers ›
- #1 Tip For Talking About Your Strengths In A Job Interview - Work It Daily ›
- How To Answer "How Do You Handle A Heavy Workload?" - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview - Work It Daily ›
- Examples Of Behavioral Interview Questions (With Answers) - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Common Marketing Interview Questions And Answers - Work It Daily ›
- Answering The Interview Question; Why Do You Want This Job? - Work It Daily ›
- How To Answer "Why Should We Hire You?" In An Interview - Work It Daily ›
- Should You Tell Your Boss You're Interviewing For A New Job? - Work It Daily ›
- What To Put For Desired Salary On A Job Application - Work It Daily ›
- Explaining How Things Work: How To Do It And Why It Matters - Work It Daily ›
- The Best Way To Answer Behavioral Interview Questions - Work It Daily ›