I’m not a big fan of the word “hate” but let me be honest: I’ve definitely felt some very, VERY strong negativity toward a few of my superiors in the past. Hey, I’m only human. This is probably one of the most common challenges I hear from professionals. Related: 5 Conversations You Must Have With A New Boss Working for someone you don’t like is the absolute worst. And yet, it can be a great learning experience if you approach it with the right attitude. Here are four reasons you should love the boss you hate:
1. Personal InsightYou can actually learn a lot about yourself in a situation like this. Consider the following questions:
- Why does this person get under your skin?
- What values are being stepped on here?
- How are you possibly contributing to the situation? (Ouch! Don’t skip this question; it will give you amazing insight.)
- What do you really want from a boss? Are you, perhaps, expecting too much?
- What kind of leader would YOU be?