What Happened to My Career? The Dangers of Complacency
Something I hear a lot from job seekers recently is that they have never (ever) had to actually look for a job before. They sound completely shocked. And hurt, too. And I’ll actually say it: They sound like they’ve experienced a loss of entitlement. So what happened? The problem isn’t that they either left a job, lost a job, or got laid off. The magic “ingredient” is much bigger than the fact that they are no longer working at the company. The truth is that many people become completely complacent about building their career while they are actually working.
- Are they keeping their networks vibrant and up-to-date?
- Are they adding new contacts and cultivating authentic relationships?
- Have they kept up on their on-the-job knowledge?
- Are they still members of key industry organizations?
- Are they engaged and involved as a volunteer?