It Pays To Praise! 3 Easy Ways To Compliment Your Co-Workers
We spend a lot of time at work and for better or worse, our co-workers become an integral part of our day-to-day lives and even our career success. We also know how powerful words can be, especially words of praise or wisdom.
Praising others can boost:
- Employee morale, i.e., the level of satisfaction, emotions, and overall outlook of employees during their time in the workplace.
- Motivation levels—employees that feel respected or valued are, in turn, more likely to be invested in their workplace culture.
- Co-worker relationships because they are based on gratitude and positivity, not gossip.
In fact, statistics show that one primary reason why people leave their jobs is lack of recognition, according to Gallup's research, while a recent study from Officevibe found that 82% of employees think it's better to give someone praise than a gift.
So, why not add some positivity to your work atmosphere? Here are three simple ways to do so!
1. Give Them Something Personalized
A mug that has a compliment or motivational saying on it:
- Best ___ (job title) ever!
- You're superb at this ___ (skill here)!
Personalized stationery with their name or initials that will surely be useful.
Remember: It is always important to consider your relationship with your co-worker before you give them any sort of gift. Make sure the type of gift is appropriate (not creepy!).
2. If Their Birthday Is Coming Up, Take Part!
Get them something they'll love, use, or find valuable with a note attached that gives them a written compliment. What you write should add value, be specific, and hold true to that person's role in the company.
1. "You did amazing work on this __ (project name) and I'm happy we are teammates!"
2. "Having you on this team makes a huge difference because ___ (name how)."
3. "The work you did to improve our ___ (improvement type) was fantastic!"
4. "It's inspiring to see how you always help ___ (name a way in which they help)."
3. Send A Positive Review To Their Manager Or Leadership Team
What better way to make a co-worker feel appreciated then sending a compliment or positive review to their manager? Not only will doing so benefit your relationship with this co-worker, but the manger will also see increased value in his or her employee.
Your co-worker's promotional prospects and positive year-end review may also increase due to your compliment!
Impress recruiters with your disruptive cover letter! Download your FREE cover letter samples now!
We hope these quick tips will help you foster kinder relationships in the workplace and give off happy vibes.
If you need more career inspiration or are stuck in a professional conflict at work, we can help! Join our career growth club today!
If you want FREE career advice in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter The Daily Dose!
- 5 Ways To Be A Happier, More Confident YOU ›
- 7 Fun Ways To Create A Better Workplace Culture - Work It Daily ... ›
- 5 Ways To Connect With Your Co-Workers - Work It Daily | Where ... ›