NOTE: This is a book excerpt with minor edits from Got A Bad Boss? Work That Boss To Get What You Want At Work by Dr. Noelle Nelson. You have a Bad Boss - a boss who makes your daily eight-plus hours an exercise in abject misery; mind-bending soul-searing abuse that you endure day after day. Make no mistake. It is abuse. An ugly word we usually associate with bad marriages or domestic violence. But abusers are common in the workplace also, most often in the person of a Bad Boss. The similarities between domestic and workplace abuse are striking:
- The abuser dominates the relationship
- The abused is afraid to do or say anything against the abuse for fear of reprisals
- The abused doesn’t have the skills to better his or her position in the relationship, and feels condemned to put up with the abuse
- The abused doesn’t have the financial means or other resources to leave the relationship
- The abused is demoralized and resigned, endures the onslaught of cruel words and erratic behavior, and just hopes to survive another day.