Be Honest: What Are You Getting BETTER At?
June 25, 2009
By Andy Robinson In the day-to-day, week-to-week conduct of our business and personal life, we do the things we need to do to accomplish our job and get things done. We exercise our talents and utilize our key skills to do those things as well as we can. Six months go by, a year goes by, lots of work is done, lots of things get done. but ..... have WE gotten better? .... or are we simply going through the repetitive motions of of accomplishing a task or project and then moving on to the next one? Yes...."practice makes perfect", but .... ARE WE GETTING BETTER?
- Are we practicing the things that we need to practice?
- Are there other ways of doing things?
- Are there better ways of doing things?
- Are there latent skills inside us that we're not taking advantage of?
- Are there skills that could be SIGNIFICANTLY strengthened if we deployed our efforts in a different direction?
- Are there new skills that we should develop
- What skill am I much better at now than I was six months or a year ago?
- What NEW skill have I learned and become good at recently that has transformed me in some way?
- What new way of doing something have I adopted that has changed my work-life or personal life for the better?
- What have I done -- consciously -- to significantly work on improving a skill or talent that I have? What books have I read? What training have I participated in?
- Which of my key strengths have I honed even further?
- Which of my key weaknesses have a mitigated in some way?
- What undeveloped skill do I have that is holding me back at work?
- Which of my areas of strength offer the BEST opportunity for me in terms of value-added plays?
- What are my plans to further hone and fine-tune my areas of strength?
- What areas of weakness are holding me back at work, and what am going to do about them?
- What areas of knowledge do I need to further develop and what are my plans for doing that?
- How can I produce MORE in LESS TIME?
- What do I want to be known as THE BEST in?
- How can I incorporate a reading program into my plans for getting better?
- What training could I attend to improve my skill in an important areas?