For most of us, success doesn't just come out of nowhere. We have to work for it. Whether it's at work or at home, we strive to be successful in everything we do. This isn't an easy task by any means. However, there are ways to meet your goals without driving yourself crazy.
Here are four ways to help you build success from scratch:
1. Wake Up 15 Minutes Earlier
Changing your daily habits slowly rather than all at once increases the likelihood that you will maintain them. According to Fast Company contributor Laura Vanderkam, building habits takes time.
In her article "What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast," she suggests taking on one new habit and building it into your routine before you start another habit. Makes sense, right?
2. Have A Positive Mindset
Although having a positive mindset seems like a no-brainer, many people fall into the downward spiral of negative thinking. Instead of blaming yourself or others for your lack of success in life, try looking at things from a different perspective.
Geoffrey James touches on this concept in his column "Sales Source" for Inc. Magazine. He uses an example of how perfectionism, though it seems like a wonderful goal, is ultimately impossible to achieve.
When you realize you can't achieve perfection, negative thoughts can overwhelm you and keep you from success. Instead, re-evaluate your goals and make them more manageable.
3. Take A Risk
Yes, taking risks is a scary concept, but taking one once in a while can be a smart thing to do. Risk takers can be success makers!
According to Fast Company's article "How To Quiet the Negative Thoughts That Are Killing Your Career," the key is to be smart about your risks. Always weigh the benefits of a risk with the losses.
4. Be A "New" Leader
It's a new world, so be a new leader. According to the blog The HR Capitalist, an old leader is very shut off from the world. It's difficult for old leaders to accept mistakes and open up with others.
By doing these four things in your career, you can get on the path to success and finally achieve your goals. It starts with building good habits, having a positive mindset, being a leader, and taking risks when the time is right. Career success is closer than you think!
Need help reaching your professional potential? Sign up for our FREE training "Unlocking Your Career Potential So You Can (Finally!) Find A Job You Like."
Here's what you'll learn:
- What kind of work you should be looking for based on your lifestyle and needs
- How to identify the kinds of companies you would be happiest working at
- Which of your skills you should focus on leveraging in a job so that you feel happier at work each day
- How your personality impacts what type of work you should be looking for
Interested? Sign up for FREE today!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 4 Tips To Expand Your Professional Network For Success - Work It ... ›
- The 7 Keys To Career Success - Work It Daily ›
- 3 Ways Youʼre Self-Sabotaging Your Own Success - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- How To Learn From Failure (So You Can Find Success) - Work It Daily ›