5 Must-Have Qualities Of Great Bus Drivers
Every passenger has a story.
- One of them is on his way to a make-or-break business meeting.
- Another one is nervous - she’s on her way to starting a new life in a new city.
- A family is on their way to warm weather, soft sand, and grandma’s house.
1. They’re personable.As the driver, you are acting as the face of your bus line’s brand. And, while your driving skills are a crucial part of that brand, your ability to interact with your passengers is also very important. “The driver’s first interaction with the passenger begins even before entering the coach,” said Jamie Lesniak, Vice President of C&J Bus Lines. “A friendly smile goes a long way.” It’s your job to make every passenger feel welcome, comfortable, and appreciated. People remember kindness and friendliness, and if they have a positive experience, they will likely come back. “We prescribe to selling more than just a bus ride, but an experience,” said Lesniak.
2. They’re willing to lead.“Our drivers are leaders,” said Lesniak. “They are the captains of their own ships (or motor coaches).” Are you a born leader? Do you enjoy taking the wheel (pun intended!) when things need to get done? All great bus drivers are natural leaders. As a driver, you’re in charge of the well-being of a bus full of passengers. So, having that ability and confidence to lead is essential.
3. They’re calm under pressure.Bus drivers have no control of those around them while on the road, and must be ready for anything that might cross their paths. A few challenges bus drives might face include:
- Poor weather conditions
- Disgruntled passengers
- Road rage
- Poor traffic conditions