The Benefits Of Executive Career Coaching
May 29, 2014
If you are seeking an extra edge in your career, one option worth considering is executive career coaching. This is for people who feel they need help in one or more areas of their career. Related: 3 Things Bad Career Coaches Don’t Want You To Know Let’s look at some of the reasons you might want to consult with an executive career coach and what you can expect from it.
Reasons To Seek Career CoachingIt’s important to know why you are seeking help with your career. A coach can do more for you if you come to them with a clear goal in mind. Some of the reasons you might be seeking this type of service include:
- You are currently unemployed and are seeking an executive position.
- You feel stuck in your current position and are looking to make a change.
- You are seeking upward mobility in your current organization.
- You need guidance with a particular career challenge.
What To Look For In A Career CoachExecutive career coaching can be very effective, but only if you find the right coach. This has to do with the experience and qualifications of the coach as well as the rapport between the two of you. The same coach will not be ideal for everyone. How do you find someone who can most help you achieve your objectives?
- Get a Personal Recommendation -This is always a good way to find a qualified professional of any kind. See if any friends, family members or colleagues can recommend a career coach.
- Check the Person’s Experience and References -You should do a little checking into the coach’s background and credentials. An experienced career coach should also be able to produce references. It’s a good idea to contact at least one of these references.
- Cost of Coaching -Some coaches charge by the hour while others prefer to charge for a series of sessions up front. You should be able to have at least one session with the person before committing to a longer term arrangement.
- Personal Rapport -You must feel comfortable with the coach on a personal level. No matter how qualified he or she might be, only you can determine if this is the right person to help you.