Today’s job board detox tip: Create and practice your value statements for networking and meetings. Many of you may have heard variations on this. Some are called elevator pitches, introductions, brand statements, and so on. I am calling what I want you to learn to say in nine seconds a "value statement." You are stating very clearly, concisely, and emotionally a "teaser" of your value. Here is what a value statement consists of. Although the elements in the list will seem huge, each one is really quite brief.
- Position / Career / Title (do not say “I used to...”)
- Transitional phrase
- What do you do (one verb)
- Target group that is impacted by the verb
- The goal you help them to accomplish
- Share genuine emotion about what you do