Easy Steps for Designing a Social Networking Strategy in Your Job Search
March 03, 2011
I'd like to share some notes from a presentation I delivered at a recent international career conference called Cannexus in Ottawa, Canada. During my presentation I asked the audience four questions and elaborated on each one. Here's the first question...
1. What are the best social networking sites to use for your job search and career management? First, decide what your goals/objectives are.
- What do you want to achieve by using social networks? Job leads? Connecting with industry experts? Building relationships gradually?
- Find other Twitter users who tweet about the same topics you're interested in, such as career change, résumé writing, interviewing, etc.
- Use Twellow to search for experts in your desired field.
- Ask for leads from contacts on Twitter.
- Join Twitter lists.
- Use hashtags (#) to funnel down your area of interest. Some examples include: #careers #resumes #hiring #jobhunt #jobhuntchat #careercollective.