Virtual networking events are gaining in popularity not just because they're fun, inexpensive, and convenient, but also because they make meeting new professional contacts incredibly easy. However, if you find yourself doing all of the talking during a chat, you might need to reevaluate your strategy.
To learn more please go to: https://www.workitdaily.com/privacy
Unemployment: it's a situation that many fear that can lead to financial hardship and high levels of stress, anxiety, and low self-esteem. For anyone who has been laid off, had their employment terminated, or quit their job, facing down the barrel of unemployment is a scary prospect.
1. Volunteer<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUzODc3MC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYwNDIzNzk4OH0.BmZLkNU8GXbpKVqJdBDdmRWeR9WavziUM5SVkml-lYQ/img.jpg?width=980" id="89e85" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="364f41684687a2472c483335c0334436" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Unemployed professionals take advantage of volunteer opportunities" /><p>Take an interest in what is happening in your community and get involved. Join one or more local community groups and volunteer some of your time and expertise. Volunteering always looks good on a resume and showing an <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/community-service-in-the-workplace" target="_blank">active interest in your community</a> will be positively viewed by employers.</p><p>In addition, volunteering gives you the opportunity to network with people from all walks of life and this, in turn, could lead to your next job.</p><p>Good points of contact are your local <a href="https://www.lionsclubs.org/en" target="_blank">Lions</a> or <a href="https://www.rotary.org/" target="_blank">Rotary</a> clubs. </p>
2. Learn New Skills<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUzODc2Mi9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY0NjcwMTUwMn0.-z7HnyqJiBSxjbxAP_ROxeT7XuZ2_7A_6-pBcsgnkAU/img.jpg?width=980" id="009dd" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="01ada41cb9bde5a1932e0f6e4503fd9e" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Unemployed woman takes advantage of her free time by learning new skills" /><p>Keep your mind active by learning a new skill. Potential employers will look positively on the fact that you have been using your time wisely to keep up with industry changes or <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/develop-your-skills-at-work" target="_blank">develop a new skill</a>.</p><p>A great place to start is with <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/benefits-of-online-career-courses" target="_blank">free or low-cost online courses</a>. If you find the courses you want to take cost a good amount of money, think of them as an investment in yourself.</p><p>In addition, pay attention to any industry developments in the news so that when it comes time to apply for that dream job, you are prepared to discuss not just your role but the industry at large and how the skills you've developed will help you succeed in that role. </p>
3. Work Out<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUzODc2MC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYwMjk1NDc4NX0.EKm_48Ob82RS-Hhg44DxJ03RscPHhwJCBUKZ6ZBZO9E/img.jpg?width=980" id="fdf4c" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="ac93bfac085634de195c38857f76d7a9" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Unemployed man works out" /><p>At such a stressful time, you need to take extra care of yourself. There's no excuse now for putting off starting an exercise regimen because you don't have the time. You have plenty of it.</p><p>You don't have to join a gym or get a personal trainer. Take up running or cycling, go on expeditions to explore your local area, or simply create your own <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/quick-and-easy-home-workout" target="_blank">at-home daily exercise routine</a> and stick to it. You'll look better, feel better, and feel less stressed—all of which will <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/job-interview-confidence" target="_blank">boost your confidence</a>.</p>
4. Rework Your Resume/CV<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUzODc3My9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYxMTI5MzI2OH0.v_VOzJf5w3e4RzBzD6wqiA4XKG2QJMzgRmco4giW2Mc/img.jpg?width=980" id="c7164" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="4a11f90bd6c19d2c4763ef4b20ffe75f" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Unemployed young woman takes advantage of her free time by updating her resume" /><p>Now is definitely the time to update and polish your resume. If you've been in the same job for a long time, it might be a good idea to research the best way to optimize your resume so it <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/get-resume-past-ats" target="_blank">gets past the ATS</a>.</p><p>In addition, start improving your online presence by creating or <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/how-to-optimize-linkedin-profile" target="_blank">updating your LinkedIn profile</a> and join professional industry groups. This is all a form of networking and is a great way for you to find opportunities that may not be widely advertised.</p><p>Also, sign up for daily job alerts and make your interview bucket list. The more targeted your job search, the easier it will be to find a job. </p>
Some people will stay in jobs that they're unhappy with just because they're afraid to be involved in the job search process.
Instead of being held back by fear, job seekers should embrace the job search process.
Content<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUzNjc2NC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyMDk0OTU0N30.KwaJdCGO2raigpPX4FFqaqLfa1KCwXHAQlYJj12x3vk/img.jpg?width=980" id="74d5f" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="251a081ac3c268dc2c17284bf0f5277f" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="A job seeker actively consumes information about the job search process." /><p>The job search process is always evolving, and it's important to make every effort to keep up. The best way to keep up is to consume as much information as possible. Fortunately, there's a lot of information online about best practices for the job search process (i.e. video tutorials, online quizzes, blogs, etc.).</p><p>We offer a lot of this stuff for FREE at <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/" target="_blank">Work It Daily.</a></p><p>But, no matter where you go to find this content, it's important that you take that personal responsibility to get informed. <strong>School doesn't teach us how to find a job. </strong>It's literally in the hands of the job seeker.</p>
Coaching<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:55%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3ov9k9MYL49jCffbMY" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/nfl-football-new-england-patriots-3ov9k9MYL49jCffbMY">via GIPHY</a></p><p>Would Tom Brady have been as successful without Bill Belichick? This is a popular sports debate that we may never truly know the answer to. It's fair to say that Brady still may have been a good quarterback without the coaching of Belichick, but it's also fair to say that Belichick's coaching gave Brady a boost that made his career historic.</p><p>It's similar with career coaching. It's not impossible to find a job without a coach, but having a coach can help you find a job faster and leave you with lifelong lessons that could help you with future career growth opportunities.</p><p><strong>Using a <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/why-you-need-a-career-coach" target="_self">career coach</a> is like making an investment in yourself. There are both long-term and short-term benefits that you can gain from it.</strong></p><p>If you don't feel that career coaching is right for you, you should at least tap into your network and consult with a trusted colleague or mentor, who could offer you some valuable advice about the job search process.</p>
Community<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUzNjc4Ni9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYxNjg3NjAzNn0.qDfGQiDAKC4AeGh7KqE5tXss3D6k1JvGx8DlczFMfgE/img.jpg?width=980" id="2b8b1" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="da138bf3fdbf3e2ed6836736e6c830e1" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="A group of young professionals collaborate." /><p>It's never easy to go through a tough life experience alone. The job search process is no different. It helps to surround yourself with a group of like-minded, positive people who are going through the same thing.</p><p>You can learn new things by listening to other people's job search experiences and exchanging ideas about the process.</p><p>There are many ways to be involved in a community during a job search,</p><p>A platform like Work It Daily offers multiple networking opportunities for its members to connect with other job seekers and build a support system. You can also tap into your network and reach out to connections that are also going through the job search process.</p><p>It helps to have a support system to not only motivate you, but to share in the setbacks and accomplishments.</p><p><br></p><p>There is no one-size-fits-all approach to the job search process, but taking advantage of all the resources available to you is a smart move.</p><p><strong>Speaking of resources, Work It Daily has a few that can help your job search.</strong></p><p>Check out our FREE <a href="https://workitdaily.lpages.co/workitdaily-job-search-checklist/" target="_blank">Job Search Checklist</a> to help get your search on the right track.</p><p>To take full advantage of coaching and community, join <a href="https://workitdaily.lpages.co/pricing/" target="_blank">Work It Daily</a> today and have access to one-on-one online coaching, resume and cover letter reviews, online tutorials, and unlimited networking opportunities.<br></p>
Being a successful salesperson is easier said than done. If you're looking to be a better salesperson and reach your career goals, we have some timely advice for you.
1. Be The Hardest Worker In The Room<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUyNjUzNC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNDI1NjkwMH0.2ozeCmxLayFAh7zQn5fcsanec1UpML7ePV91Iyh7sJ0/img.jpg?width=980" id="82cbb" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="4f2aad8ad5a90c0b81b977896706124a" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Salesperson works hard to meet her goals" /><p>"You often hear younger sales professionals asking veteran sales professionals, 'What's the trick?' or 'What's your secret to being successful?' In my opinion, there is no trick or secret to being successful in this profession," Zac says. </p><p>To be a successful salesperson, Zac believes you should aim to be the hardest worker in the room. </p><p>"Now I say hardest worker, but I don't say work the longest hours. Always look at your strategy and figure out ways you can be better and always look to engage with your customers as much as you can."</p><p>Doing just that, in Zac's experience, is the first step to <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/how-to-get-ahead-at-work" target="_blank">getting ahead</a> in your sales career. <br></p>
2. Embrace Uncomfortable Conversations<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUyNjUyMi9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY0NTAxMzA4OX0.Oi27tkJIZnWgv7PDhm6gY1jXjduSDi1QsbQdQ8XRP2Y/img.jpg?width=980" id="570b2" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="3442f7cd49a8117f538510358841f15c" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Salesman talks to a customer" /><p>"You're often faced with uncomfortable conversations in a sales career," Zac states. "Anytime you're asking someone for money in exchange for a product can be intimidating for even the most seasoned sales professional."</p><p>Despite this, Zac says you can't be afraid of those <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/conversation-starters-networking-events" target="_blank">uncomfortable conversations</a>. You must embrace them.</p><p>"I was told early on in my career that to be successful in this industry, you need to 'get comfortable being uncomfortable.' And that is something that has really stuck with me."</p>
3. Be Passionate, Relentless, And Tenacious<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUyNjUzNi9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY1NTEyMjU4N30.dDGwKaeCIBf1GO6e2oc8s_n9ZsewQj0e-BG9HxAeNhM/img.jpg?width=980" id="176b8" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="18ead9bcd99d4660e27d07f0f871b124" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Saleswoman smiles at work" /><p>A common misconception people have about sales is that, in order to be successful, you need to be a "smooth talking, slick, extrovert." </p><p>"This is just a stereotype," Zac continues. "I say this because I actually consider myself to be more of an introvert."</p><p>Based on his experience as a successful salesperson, Zac believes you really only need three specific <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/top-soft-skills-for-employees" target="_blank">soft skills</a> to be the best in the industry: passion, relentlessness, and tenacity.</p><p>"Without drive, and a commitment to succeeding, it's hard to have a career in sales. You need to be able to bounce back. As salespeople, we face rejection nearly every day, sometimes multiple times a day. If you can take that rejection and ultimately understand why you're being rejected, you'll be more valuable to your customer as a problem solver, account manager, and trusted advisor."</p>
4. Listen And Care<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzUyNjU0MC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNDY3NzUzOX0.hC2PNAKKh4ci9YtCbL8j5xYIDFpuTkZydDZhEkNt5QM/img.jpg?width=980" id="839d7" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="0aeb9875db25be84f306ffc96aca6ef8" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="Salesperson listens to help a customer" /><p>Zac's last tip for being a successful salesperson is to simply listen and care.</p><p>"If you're trying to sell to customers without listening and understanding their problems, you won't sell a thing," Zac states. "I've always been successful because I do everything I can, not only to take the extra mile, but the extra 10 miles to ensure that my customer's experience is the very best it can possibly be."</p><p>So, how do you ensure your customers are having the best experience? Zac believes your job is not only to sell, but to be a trusted advisor to all of your customers.</p><p>"Listen and understand the challenges they are facing, bring in the <a href="https://www.workitdaily.com/resources" target="_blank">correct resources</a> to further the discussion, and develop solutions that will solve each of those challenges for your customer."</p><p>Don't be surprised if you build strong relationships with your customers after employing this strategy. That is definitely one of the perks of having a career in sales. </p>
Need some podcast recommendations? Check out our episode picks of the week!