10 Signs Your Interaction Style Is Messing With Your Career
There’s an old saying that goes like this, "Everyone thinks they have taste and a sense of humor." Well, as a career coach for the last 10 years, I can tell you that phrase should be adjusted to this instead, “Everyone thinks they have taste, a sense of humor, and good communication skills." Poll: What’s Your Workplace Personality? I am continually amazed at the number of people that have no idea how their interaction style is impacting their career. (Take this FREE quiz to learn your style.) If you've ever had an issue with a co-worker, boss, or client, then I can tell you with 100% certainty your interaction styles had something to do with it. More importantly, if you’ve ever felt out of place in a company, or as if you can’t seem to get the respect you want in your career, then I guarantee your interaction style is guilty. Here are 10 signs your interaction style is messing with your career:
- You feel like nobody is paying attention to your requests at work.
- Colleagues have informal meetings without you and then tell you the results and how they directly impact your job.
- Your boss dismisses EVERY idea you present to her.
- Co-workers always agree with you when you voice your concerns, but then you hear they said something entirely different to your boss.
- You have no close friends at the office.
- You’ve been told you aren’t “management material” yet.
- People get really quiet and don’t have any answers or comments when you speak.
- You don’t get selected for any team projects or special assignments.
- People love to tease you about how “honest," “funny,” and “shameless” you are at the office.
- You’ve been fired.