3-Step Sniper Approach To Getting Your First Job

3-Step Sniper Approach To Getting Your First Job

With increasing competition for entry-level jobs, the pressure of student loans, and the excitement of getting your first job, it can be tempting to fire a shotgun blast of resumes out into the world, and accept the first offer that comes your way. Related:10 Rules For Starting Your New Job On The Right Foot But wouldn't it suck if after all that effort you wound up getting a job you despised within a month of being there? Then you're back to square 1, or worse yet… you decide to stick it out for a while, and wind up having a stress-induced quarter-life crisis to rival the Justin Biebers of the world… What if you put down the shotgun, and instead grabbed a sniper rifle? You load it up, survey the scene carefully and intentionally, and wisely choose the best target available… firing only once, and making a perfect shot. Most likely, everyone you know is relying on the shotgun approach… but you can be a sniper, and snag your dream job with an awesome company. Here's how…

Step 1: Determine the problem that drives you NUTS.

Answering this question is the key to finding out where you belong. Yes, you've got your education, which has groomed you to develop a skill to use in exchange for money… but where should you apply that skill in order to maximize your happiness and income, and make an impact on the world? For instance, I hate the idea of seeing my friends invest four years of their life and thousands of dollars into their education... only to wind up in a tiny cubicle they can't stand, wishing they were back in school. Hence this article. So, what makes you want to pull your hair out?

Step 2: Find the company that's doing the best job of solving that problem.

Get your Google on! Find a few possible targets, and then use the infographic below to narrow it down and determine the best. The company meeting the highest number of these badges will be the one you want to apply for. But before you do… because you're using a radically different approach to find this company, you'll need an equally radical approach to get their attention and the job. That's why there's Step 3 (below the infographic)... (infographic from: https://gamechangers500.com)

Step 3: Use a radically different approach to create an irresistible offer.

I have some good news and some bad news for you… The bad news is that employers have all seen the same, boring resumes and cover letters for years, and only 1% of resumes submitted lead to a job offer. The good news is that the other 99% are using the shotgun method. But you're a sniper… And now that you've zeroed in your target, you'll know exactly what to do. You know what they stand for and what drives them nuts, because it drives you nuts, too. So, share that with them in a unique way, beyond the cover letter and resume. Because I've got a secret for you… Great companies, like the ones who have more than a few of the badges in the infographic above, don't care about your GPA as much as you think they do. They want people who are fiercely passionate about solving the same problem as them, who are willing to learn, have some skills, and are going to be a great cultural fit. See, when you're applying for an entry-level job, your greatest asset is your potential. And that's revealed through your character. So, figure out what drives you crazy, find someone who's making it better, and get their attention in a unique and creative way. And if you need a little help, here's more free info on how to get inside access to some of the coolest companies in the world. This post was originally published at an earlier date.

Related Posts

How To Find Your First JobHow To Write A Resume That Helps You Land Your First JobGraduating? How To Find A Job

About the author

Ryan Niessen is a keynote speaker and co-creator of The Gateway Method: a simple, proven way to gain inside access to the world's best employers and get your dream job. Connect with him on LinkedIn or Facebook. Disclosure: This post is sponsored by a CAREEREALISM-approved expert.