Job Seekers: Never Do This On Mondays
There is one rule I always tell job seekers to follow in regards to their job search activities. Under no circumstances should you ever do this on a Monday.
The rule? Never, and I mean never, call or email an employer on a Monday to check the status of your application or ask where the hiring manager is in the decision-making process for a job.
Why You Should Never Contact Hiring Managers On A Monday
Mondays are the least popular day of the workweek. Even the most cheerful of workers struggle to get in the groove on a Monday. And, given that 55% of Americans surveyed recently said they would like a new job, it's safe to say that the majority of people are not in the best mood. Adding stress or pressure to their day is not going to help you. So, as much as you are dying to know where you stand in the hiring process, I would suggest waiting until later in the week for several reasons:
- If the hiring manager hasn't made any progress, they will not appreciate you reminding them.
- If you are not in the running, they will not be thrilled about having to give you the bad news.
- If they are super busy and planned to address the hiring process later in the week, they will not appreciate you trying to push them to address it sooner.
Ironically, all that can change on a Tuesday when hiring managers are organized for the week and back in the productivity zone.
Job seekers should spend Mondays researching companies and identifying who they want to network with instead of contacting hiring managers. Save the calls and emails for Tuesdays and you'll notice that people will be in better moods and respond to you more positively. You'll have a much easier time in your job search if you avoid reaching out to hiring managers and recruiters at the very beginning of the workweek. Trust me.
Need help finding a job?
Check out our FREE resources page!
Or, join our career growth club today and get access to one-on-one career coaching, resume and cover letter reviews, online tutorials, and unlimited networking opportunities—all in your back pocket!
If you want FREE career advice in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter The Daily Dose!
Struggling to find the right job?
Check out Work It Daily's Incredible Companies page to see snapshots of companies hiring. Work It Daily also highlights job opportunities on a daily basis on TikTok.
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 7 Ways To Trick Yourself Into Loving Mondays - Work It Daily ›
- 21 Inspirational Career Quotes For Professionals - Work It Daily ›
- Why Monday Is The Best Day For LinkedIn Endorsements - Work It ... ›
- 3 Tips For Avoiding The Monday Blues - Work It Daily ›