Maintaining your online presence is more important than ever. If you want to be taken seriously by employers, clients, and other professional contacts, you NEED to give your LinkedIn profile a facelift. Related: Can Your LinkedIn Profile Replace The Traditional Resume? LinkedIn profile looking old and stale these days? Here are ten tips for giving your LinkedIn profile a much-needed facelift (no Botox required!):
1. Update your photo.I know it’s tempting to use that *awesome* photo of you from that wild college party, but if you’re serious about your personal brand, don’t. In many cases, your LinkedIn photo is your first impression. It’s the first thing people see when they search for you online. You want that first impression to be a good one, right? Here are some quick tips for taking/choosing an appropriate LinkedIn photo:
- Use a current photo of yourself
- Don’t have other people/objects in your photo.
- Make sure your photo is well-lit and not blurry.
- Don’t use Instagram filters (c’mon guys!).
- NO DUCK FACES. JUST NO.
- Smile and make sure you’re looking at the camera.
- Don’t use a black and white photo.