8 Ways To Deal With The Monday Blues
Feeling the Monday Blues? You are not alone in this. Millions of people feel the same way you do. So how do you deal with it?
1. Don't Think About ItThe more you think about it, the worse it becomes. The way I deal with the Monday Blues to not think about it. Does it go away? I am not sure. But it sure makes me feel better. Think of it as you can't scratch. If you think about the itch, it seems to get itchier. So, I just don’t think about the Monday Blues and I do not remind myself of the feeling. I simply ignore it and I feel better immediately. Get that concept out of your mind. The more you think about it the worse it becomes.
2. Get Some SunlightOr rather, get out into the open when you can. Sometimes, just by being outside helps. There has been research that shows sunlight stimulates our feel good hormones and it helps deal with the blues – Monday Blues or otherwise.
3. Get Your To Do List Ready On SundayWhen I return from a long vacation, I use the day before to tidy up my list of things to do at work. It helps me plan out and prepare for the load of work that awaits me when I get back to work the next day. I use the same system to deal with Mondays. Get your to do list ready for the new week. When you have a properly planned list, you feel you are more in control and hence feel less of the Monday Blues. Being prepared a day before is surely a good way of dealing with Monday Blues.
4. Listen To MusicSome people like to start their Monday listening to music they love. Somehow or rather, it helps. Turn on the music while you make yourself a hot cup of coffee or tea in the morning, and also when preparing for work or going to work. It helps takes your mind away from the experience of Monday mornings.
5. Start EarlyLet’s face it; sometimes it isn’t the Monday Blues that drags us down. It’s our laziness. Or, what I like to call "inertia from the weekend." We sleep in on Saturdays and Sundays and have a leisure weekend, our body expects Monday to be the same. So, we hit the snooze button and before you know it you are rushing again. We all know what happens when we rush. We skip breakfast, have small mishaps and before you know it, your weeks start of the wrong note. We blame it on Monday, but it is not about Mondays - it is simply laziness. Start your Monday early and see how that changes. Have a good breakfast and see how it changes your Monday.
6. EatEver thought about food as a way to tackle your Monday Blues? By starting early you allow yourself to make yourself a good breakfast or grab one on the way to work. If you are not a breakfast person, I strongly urge you to try it to tackle your Monday Blues. A stomach with fuel for the day sure helps in dealing with Monday Blues. If that doesn’t work, look forward to a good lunch with good company.
7. Look Forward To Good ThingsThere are many good things at work if you just open your eyes and be mindful. Your pay helps you settle your bills. Your colleagues have become good friends. Your bosses whom you may not always agree with are by and large, understanding when you make certain requests. Look forward to these good things when you are faced with Monday Blues.
8. Realize It Will Be Over SoonEverything that starts must end. It’s the same with Monday Blues. It’s just the morning that you are usually most affected. Just tell yourself it isn’t permanent. It’s just a phase and as with everything else it will go away. It happens on Monday and it’s just a few hours. Before you know it, it will be over. Do not dwell on it. Create your own dominant thought that masters your mind. Monday Blues need not own you and you need not fear it. The more attached you are to the concept the worse it will affect you. Try some of these tips and see how it will help you tackle your Monday Blues.
Want more advice like this?
Sign up below to receive our *daily* career tips in your Inbox!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock