6 Signs it’s Time to Change Careers
So, you’ve been thinking it might be time to change careers – you just wish you had a way to know for sure. With 84% of Americans claiming they want a new job in 2011, you are not alone. So, how does one assess if it’s time to find a new career path? We asked over 100 career experts what the tell-tale signs are it’s time to move on. We saw 6 common themes. Here they are: 1. You limit your job thoughts to 9-5. Ben Eubanks, an HR professional says, "There are a few quick ways to figure out if you need to blaze a new career path. First, you're probably feeling burnt out. That might be obvious, but some people excuse it with, 'I've just been working hard lately.' If you constantly dread going back to work, that's telling. Another big one I've uncovered is whether you spend time thinking about it outside of work. Do you dream up ideas? Do you take time to learn more about your industry? If not, then you might be well-served by looking at another opportunity to see if it does ignite your passion." 2. You’re breaking the 80/20 rule. Dr. Janet Civitelli, a workplace psychologist & career coach says, "I have a 80% guideline for work satisfaction, meaning the goal is to be at least 80% happy with a career, job, or boss. If satisfaction falls below that, it is time to fine tune the job, find a new job, or change career direction completely. Many people are surprised to hear me say this because they expect to shoot for 95% or 100%, but I have learned through experience with thousands of clients aiming for near perfect work satisfaction causes less happiness, not more." 3. Your idea of "career reading" changes. Lisa Correu, a job search advocate & workshop provider lists the following:
- At your annual review, you consider writing all the lyrics to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the "Goals" section.
- You interview a potential hire and spend 30 minutes talking about Sean Connery versus Daniel Craig as 007.
- You cancel all of your subscriptions to industry publications and replace them with Garden Gnomes Monthly.
- You’re asked to speak at Career Day and pass out invitations to your Pampered Chef party.
- You wonder what it would be like to love your career again.