Unemployment is tough - There's no doubt about it. But are you making it harder on yourself? I wrote an article on LinkedIn about why you shouldn't list yourself as “in transition" on your LinkedIn profile. (You can read it by clicking here.) In short, this phrase is used so much right now it's code for “long-term unemployed" to recruiters. Studies show the long-term unemployed are being discriminated against right now. So, there's no need to help the hiring managers screen you out.
Follow These Unemployment Tips Instead:
- Pick three or four skill sets you want to leverage in your next job and list them in the headline of your LinkedIn profile. (i.e. Project Management | Business Analysis | Client Relations | Marketing)
- In the “Summary" section of the profile, give a quantifiable accomplishment to prove you have experience in each of the key areas you listed in your headline.
- Be sure your past work history also exemplifies those skills.
Your Next Step - FREE WebinarAre you one of the millions of Americans who has surpassed the nine-month national average for job search? Then it's time to throw out the old and bring in the new.
It's Time To Get Back To Work!Join me for a breakdown of what's not working in your job search. In this powerful session, I explain:
- Why you need to stop looking for a job in order to find work.
- How to remove the stigma of unemployment.
- Where the real jobs are and how you can find them.