All Successful Leaders MUST Have These 10 Characteristics
When we are asked to think of a leader, someone who inspires us to do our best every day, a wide variety of different people come to mind. Maybe someone in your personal life, someone from a television show or movie, or a historical figure whose personality you greatly admire.
While the type of person can vary immensely, more often than not, they will all have a certain set of skills and personality traits that make them a good leader. According to recent surveys, many groups find that a good business leader will often have several or all of these characteristics.
A good leader will be able to establish an honest connection with their peers. A relationship based on trust and reliability makes the team know that their leader is always there for them, which in turn inspires them to be there for their leader.
2. Ability To Delegate
Each person in a group will be able to bring something different to the table, and a good leader will work with each member's strengths and weaknesses in order to make sure that the best is being done.
3. Ability To Communicate
By clearly describing their idea to their team, the leader will be able to create a sense of ease and understanding with their peers. When every member of the team is striving towards a common goal, then there is nothing that cannot be accomplished.
4. Sense Of Humor
Negative situations will always arise, but a good business leader will know how to diffuse them and help give their team peace of mind. A stress-free work environment often garners the most results, and sometimes all that is necessary to help push your team forward is a healthy dose of humor in the face of difficulty.
A good leader will show confidence in the face of challenges and will inspire confidence in their team by reminding them that obstacles are just there to be overcome. The confident leader will keep their eye on the goal and will not allow anything to deter him or her, or their team, from success.
Some leaders may drive their teams to work hard, while others will constantly be at their sides, giving every task one hundred percent. The latter is the type of leader that can expect to achieve more. Teams work better when they see that the one that they answer to is right by their side, sharing their struggles and triumphs.
7. Positive Attitude
Motivation is the key to success, and it can be hard to stay motivated in a negative environment. By keeping your team's spirits up, you will be able to motivate them to achieve more, and not let them be bothered by minor setbacks.
Sometimes a difficult situation will arise that will require you to think outside of the box and help your team do the same. At such crucial movements, a good leader will be able to demonstrate a unique type of creativity that can help their team push through any situation.
9. Ability To Inspire
Inspiration can take many forms, but a capable leader will be able to demonstrate their ability to lead and inspire by motivating their team to share their vision.
Finally, a good leader will have intuition. Sometimes obstacles will arise that nobody will know how to handle, perhaps even you. In such situations, it is important to be confident and make a decision.
No matter what the decision is, if you show that you are giving the problem everything you have got, it will inspire your team to do the same, which can often be all that is needed to help get past the situation.
All successful leaders have these 10 characteristics. If you want to be a great leader, make sure to develop these traits and skills, and you'll be sure to find your own success!
Need more help with your career?
We'd love it if you signed up for Work It Daily's Power Hour Event Subscription! Get your career questions answered in our next live event!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- How To Be A Successful Remote Leader - Work It Daily ›
- 6 Important Traits Every Effective Manager Needs To Have - Work It ... ›
- 5 Tips For Good Leadership Skills - Work It Daily ›
- 7 Ways To Stand Out As A Leader At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Easy Ways To Develop Your Leadership Skills - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- What Your Decision-Making Style Says About You As A Leader - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 10 Ways To Become A Better Leader At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Leadership Dilemmas Posed By The COVID-19 Pandemic - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Ways To Improve Your Leadership Skills And Climb The Corporate Ladder - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- The #1 Difference Between A Manager And A Leader - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- How Executives Can Successfully Motivate Their Teams - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Tips To Help You Master The Art Of Delegation - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Key Characteristics Of Successful Managers - Work It Daily ›
- 11 Tips For Transitioning Into A Leadership Role - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways Leaders Can Effectively Motivate Their Teams - Work It Daily ›
- How To Motivate Your Creative Team ›
- 6 Key Leadership Skills All Successful Managers Need - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Things I Do To Earn My Leadership Every Day - Work It Daily ›
- 3 Important Personal Leadership Skills All Leaders Must Have - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Qualities All Great Managers Have - Work It Daily ›
- Recession-Proof: 3 Ways To Be An Indispensable Employee - Work It Daily ›
- How To Motivate Employees During An Economic Downturn - Work It Daily ›
- 10 Things To Know About A Career In Retail Management - Work It Daily ›
- Key Traits For Business Owner Success - Work It Daily ›
- How To Delegate While Remaining Accountable - Work It Daily ›
- 3 Reasons Why Community Service Benefits The Workplace - Work It Daily ›