Personal leadership is taking responsibility for all aspects of your life and leading it in the direction that is best for you.
In order to be successful in leading at work, having strong personal leadership skills is critical.
When you are able to take responsibility for your own life decisions, you are better able to have a positive and inspiring impact on others. You are also able to be a role model for others in the leadership arena.
There are three factors that impact strong personal leadership skills.
A Good Mindset
Mindset is defined as, "a fixed mental attitude or disposition that predetermines a person's responses to and interpretations of situations."
Having a positive attitude and perspective about personal leadership and making decisions that are in your best interest is your first step towards strong personal leadership skills. Having positive beliefs and expectations about what will result when you make choices is part of having a positive mindset about personal leadership.
Having the right attitude about developing your personal leadership skills is a great first step on the path to success. Then, you can transfer that success to your leadership skills at work.
The next important area is your energy. How are you managing your energy? Are you taking time to renew yourself? This all supports you in being able to make the best decisions.
This, again, translates into your leadership skills at work. Managing your energy in all areas of your life enables you to give your best—both personally and professionally—and to be at your best when you are both at home and at work.
Strong Support Systems
The third important area of personal leadership is about your support systems. Having strong personal leadership skills means you have a network of people to support you through making choices that are in your best interest.
These people are your sounding boards, your trusted colleagues, your family and friends, and really anyone who you define as part of your inner circle of confidantes. These are the people who know you and trust. They are the ones with whom you can share ideas and seek guidance.
This, again, translates to your being a strong leader at work. We all know the importance of having a strong network in our careers. When people advocate for us, listen to us, and help us, we repay the favor. Strong personal leadership skills require the same type of network.
Strong personal leadership is about being the best leader in your personal life, in addition to your professional life. Having strong personal leadership skills also makes you an outstanding role model for those you lead at work and demonstrates vital skills they can incorporate into their own lives.
Development tip: How are your personal leadership skills? Do you have the right mindset about leading your own life? Are you managing your energy well and do you have a support system behind you? Take some time to think about whether or not you are leading your own life as well as you are leading in your work life.
Are you looking to land a leadership role soon? If so, Work It Daily can help you!
When you join our career growth club, you get access to a network of like-minded professionals who help you build your leadership skills and help you stay on track with your goals.
You also get one-on-one support from our career growth specialists, who will help you market your skills effectively and land the job of your dreams.
Work It Daily has helped thousands of our members get the jobs they've always wanted. Are you ready to be one of those members? If so, let's get started today!
This post was originally published on an earlier date.
- 5 Easy Ways To Develop Your Leadership Skills - Work It Daily ... ›
- 6 Key Leadership Skills All Successful Managers Need - Work It ... ›
- The 10 Traits You NEED To Be A Great Leader In The Workplace ... ›
- 5 Leadership Dilemmas Posed By The COVID-19 Pandemic - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Ways Business Leaders Can Manage Through Chaos - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Ways To Build A Powerful Personal Brand On Your Executive Resume - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 10 Ways To Become A Better Leader At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Strong African American Leaders Who Inspire - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- The #1 Difference Between A Manager And A Leader - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Key Characteristics Of Successful Managers - Work It Daily ›
- 11 Tips For Transitioning Into A Leadership Role - Work It Daily ›
- 6 Key Leadership Skills All Successful Managers Need - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways To Develop Your Skills On The Job - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Things I Do To Earn My Leadership Every Day - Work It Daily ›
- The Skills Executives Need In Today's Hybrid Workplace - Work It Daily ›