If you're looking for a way to simplify your job hunt and get noticed, social platforms like LinkedIn give you an opportunity to be proactive and get past the Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
With LinkedIn, not only can you view job listings, but you can also easily find the recruiter who's leading the search for the right candidate.
Reaching out to the recruiter is certainly a solid job search strategy but like anything in life, there's a right and wrong way to do it.
Here are the best ways to connect with a recruiter on LinkedIn and potentially put yourself in a position to get hired for the job.
Three Steps For Connecting With A Recruiter On LinkedIn
1.) Research Recruiter's Profile - Details matter! You may learn from the recruiter's LinkedIn profile that you attended the same university or once worked at the same company, just during different time periods. Anything you have in common with the recruiter could be a good way to break the ice.
2.) Make A Connection Request - Use the simple 300-word connection request to introduce yourself to the recruiter. Mention something that you have in common and that you're interested in learning more about their career field and would love the opportunity to connect. Keep it simple—you don't want to overwhelm the recruiter. Here are a few additional ideas.
3.) Ask A Follow-Up Question - Once you're connected, send a follow-up note thanking them for the connection, mention that the job posting caught your attention, and ask them what's most important to them when considering a candidate for this position. This is a way to express your interest in the position while politely asking for their feedback. The key is not to be pushy and frame it in a way where you're trying to make their job easier.
What Do You Do If A Recruiter Doesn't Connect With You?
If a recruiter doesn't respond to your connection request, it's best to just move on.
There could be many reasons why the recruiter doesn't respond, and some may have nothing to do with your request. Being too aggressive about the connection request could actually damage your chances of getting your dream job. Make one request and if the recruiter doesn't respond, let it go.
You can continue your job hunt by searching LinkedIn for other professionals who work at the company where you're pursuing employment. Use the above steps to try to connect with them and perhaps they can give you tips that may help you land a job interview. This is not only a good way to run a boost your job search but it will also help you build your professional network.
Keep A Strong LinkedIn Profile
It's important to remember that if you have a strong LinkedIn profile it's possible that recruiters will reach out to you.
There are multiple ways that Work It Daily can help you optimize your profile for job search success.
For only $5, WID's LinkedIn Accelerator Package can help your profile send the right message to recruiters! The package will give you everything you need to know about structuring your profile so it shows up in recruiters' searches.
Looking for more great advice?
Join our career growth club today and get access to one-on-one career coaching, resume and cover letter reviews, online tutorials, and unlimited networking opportunities—all in your back pocket!
This post was published at an earlier date.
- How To Reach Recruiters On LinkedIn - Work It Daily | Where ... ›
- 6 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your LinkedIn Profile - Work It ... ›
- 7 Steps To Building Relationships With Recruiters On LinkedIn ... ›
- 4 Mistakes Job Seekers Make With Their LinkedIn Headline - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- What To Say When Connecting With Someone On LinkedIn - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- How To Find A Hiring Manager's Name - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- How To Build Strong Connections On LinkedIn - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Things You Should Know Before Contacting A Recruiter - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- How To Connect With Potential Employers During An Interview - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Ways To Simplify Your Job Search - Work It Daily ›
- What To Say When Connecting With Someone On LinkedIn - Work It Daily ›
- Why LinkedIn Doesn't Work For A Lot Of People ›
- 6 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your LinkedIn Profile - Work It Daily ›
- How To Respond To A Recruiter About A Job ›