3 Simple Steps To 'Escaping' Your Job
October 20, 2015
Do you ever have a little voice in your head telling you to get the heck out of your job? How many times a day does it bug you… and how long has it been there? Usually (thanks to this small, yet annoying voice), we know when it's time for a change. We'll do our best for as long as possible to improve our attitude or circumstances, and then eventually, something gives. The good news is that, in my experience, the sooner you can recognize that you deserve better, the sooner you'll get the outcome you desire.
How To Escape Your JobSo, let's walk through together the three simple steps for escaping your job and starting your dream career, plus a couple of bonus resources that'll help you take the next step.
1. Decide You Deserve BetterThe first step is acknowledging that you aren't fulfilled with your current position, and that it's not your fault. You gave it your best shot, and while it may have been great for a time, it's not working anymore. You deserve better. And you're going to decide, in this moment, to do whatever it takes to create the life and career you deserve with the income, contribution, and happiness you want.
2. Define Your DreamI believe that the best way to inspire action is to clearly define (and be extremely excited for) your new life! And in my experience, the more specific you can get about what you want, the sooner you'll get the results you desire. Often, the hardest part is figuring out what we want. So, here are a couple of questions to help you get started:
- What would you regret NOT doing when you're 60, 70, or 80 years old?
- What excites you? Inspires you? Motivates you?
- What challenges in your personal life do you want to overcome?
- What's happening in the world today that drives you crazy - and you want to change or contribute to the solution?