Why Feedback Will Help Your Professional Development
Feedback, in the world of business, is the breakfast of champions. Feedback "feeds" us - it's at the top of the food pyramid for learning and professional development. Related: 3 Steps To Create Your Own Career Development Plan How often do you ASK for feedback? Feedback can be humbling, it can be eye-opening, and it can bring awareness to us of things that we're simply "blind" to... but if we don't ask for it, we usually don't receive it - particularly the constructive form. Many or most people will give us positive feedback, but very few will give us honest, candid feedback focused on how we can improve or how we can get better; things we SHOULD change or do differently. Make ASKING for feedback a habit. Seek feedback from others:
- Following a meeting in which you participated
- After a presentation you've given
- In follow up to a networking event
- Anytime you're in front of others
- How you did, overall
- Was your message clear?
- Did you seem to listen well?
- Was your body language in alignment with your message?
- Did you seek input from others?
- Did you show respect for others' time?
- Did you leave a positive impression?
- Were you friendly?