Don’t let the media and the news put you down. No matter how bad they say it is companies are always looking to hire the best available staff. If you have the right skills and passion, there will be a job waiting for you right around the corner.
The key is to remain upbeat. Here are 10 tips to help you stay positive while looking for a job.
1. Keep A Routine
You can do this at a church, hospital, homeless shelter, or non-profit organization. Volunteering will open your eyes to people who are less off than you and give you a sense of contribution and gratitude. There is no greater reward than helping people who are less fortunate than us.
3. Stay Up To Date With What’s Happening In Your IndustryBigstock
Don’t let yourself fall behind just because you’re not working. The best approach is to learn more about your particular industry. This way you will be ahead of your competition when it comes time to interview.
4. Explore Potential New CareersBigstock
It’s never too late to try to learn a foreign language or a new piece of computer software. I remember working with a senior archaeologist with 10 years of experience who came to me wanting a change in his life direction. After six months of learning Spanish and then traveling through Spain for another six months, the senior archaeologist is now a junior English/Spanish translator!
5. Positive ThinkingBigstock
Do not focus on the negatives—you need to be able to bounce back. Concentrate on the skills and knowledge you have. Sitting around saying “what if” all the time is only going to further depress you.
6. Support Group
You may feel as though you’re the only person in your situation without a job, but guess what—you’re not. Reach out to people for support. There are many groups that provide excellent assistance in the areas of resume writing, interviewing, and job hunting (including Work It Daily!). Aside from the secular groups, there are also many faith groups ready to offer you a supporting hand. Don’t feel ashamed or embarrassed to ask for help. Let people help you change your life.
7. Avoid Negative People
Negative thinking is of no value to you. You need to be around positive people and people who can have a positive impact on your life.
Maintain contacts and stay in touch with people. Make sure you network with positive people! Again, avoid negativity. Negative thinking does nothing to help your situation.
9. Manage Your ExpectationsBigstock
Not every job you apply for will be a success. Don’t be put off by this. Instead, concentrate on the positives and look at what you achieve each day. For example, you could have applied to three great jobs, connected with two people who are great resources, or found a course or book that will help improve your skills.
And last but not least...
10. Don’t Give Up!Bigstock
If you focus on conducting a proactive job search, not only will you find great jobs, great jobs will find YOU!
We know how difficult it can be to stay positive in your job search, especially if you've been looking for a job for a while. The good news is we can help.
We'd love it if you signed up for Work It Daily's Power Hour Event Subscription! Get your career questions answered in our next live event!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- Laid Off & Looking: 8 Tips For The Unemployed - Work It Daily ›
- 3 Job Search Tips For The Unemployed - Work It Daily ›
- 7 Tips To Help You Deal With Being Laid Off - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Reasons You Lack Confidence In Your Job Search - Work It Daily ›
- How To Deal With Job Offer Anxiety - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Tips For Staying Motivated During A Frustrating Job Search - Work ... ›
- How To Stay Positive During a Long Job Search - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways To Avoid Frustration During A Long Job Search - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Things You Should Do While Looking For A Job - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Things You Shouldn't Do When Looking For A Job - Work It Daily ›