You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to recognize that job seekers face obstacles today that they never imagined in the past. A lot has changed in the last few years, and you’ll need to adjust if you want to succeed. Competition is intense and more and more companies are turning to temporary, or contingent, workers in place of full-time employees. Since the pace of change is unlikely to slow, if you want to be successful, it’s up to you to keep up. Related: How To Build An Effective ‘Marketing Yourself’ Plan Make sure you are prepared to compete successfully. Find out how to market yourself in today's economy:
Evaluate And Identify Career Trends In Your FieldOpen your eyes and ears and keep abreast of what’s hot in your industry. You need to know what skills and experiences employers seek for the jobs you want. How can you uncover this information?
- Review job descriptions; what keywords show up again and again?
- What topics are keynote speakers including in their presentations at your professional conferences? (You can discover this online, even if you don’t attend.)
- What topics are thought leaders in your field writing about and discussing? (Read their blogs, newsletters and social media updates to find out.)
- When you have informational interviews with people in your field, what do they identify as their biggest obstacles, pain points and concerns?
- What do online tools (websites and social media sites) tell you about your industry?