These days it’s not just the resume that’s reviewed for your credentials and experience. LinkedIn is now a critical part of your job search as the majority of employers will look for you there. Your LinkedIn profile is also an important tool and an important part of your job search strategy. Related: 15 Ways LinkedIn Can Supercharge Your Job Search Results Your LinkedIn profile may be promoted on the signature of your email address, your website, your blog and business cards. It may also be added to your resume as an additional resource employers can go to in order to scope out your experience, knowledge, skills, and connections. One of the most important things you can do is personalize your LinkedIn URL. By default, when you set up your profile on LinkedIn, you are given a LinkedIn ID that may look like this: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/firstname-lastname/0/000/246 The URL above is a temporary LinkedIn ID. A temporary LinkedIn ID typically has /pub/ and numbers that follow it. Personalize your LinkedIn ID to something that is more memorable. For instance: www.linkedin.com/in/dongoodmanjobexpert/ Changing your temporary LinkedIn ID to a personalized one is simple and takes only a few clicks of a button. Here are the easy steps you need to take to personalize your LinkedIn URL: (Note that LinkedIn keeps changing their interface so there may be differences between users).
- Sign in to LinkedIn and select Edit Your Profile.
- At the bottom of your profile box you should see your LinkedIn ID.
- Click on Edit next to the temporary ID.
- This should open a box to the right of the screen called Customize Your Public Profile. Under it, there is a box for Your public profile URL.
- Select on Customize your public profile URL. Now, you can enter how you want your permanent LinkedIn ID to appear. It may be your name or some variant related to your profession or field of work.