How To Screw Up At A Career Fair
May 11, 2013
I recently attended a career fair and saw or heard many of the scenarios outlined below. A few I added from other career fair experiences, but not many! I commonly see and hear many of these egregious examples at job fairs I attend across the region.
How To Screw Up At A Career FairIf you don’t want to be hired by attending a career fair:
- Bring your child/children (no matter how young, old, cute, well behaved, calm, mature). No one, not the children, you, other attendees, or employers will benefit.
- Bring your dog. Everyone can hear it barking from the car in the parking lot, including you! It’s never a good idea to leave your dog alone in the car anyway.
- Ask about benefits and raises. Everyone wants them – this can be discussed closer to the job offer.
- Wear knee high stockings with a skirt, even a long one – the split is above the stocking line and clearly visible from behind, in case you wondered.
- Tell a recruiter/potential employer you don’t want to “waste” a resume on them – bring enough to waste on every employer there and then some. You don’t know from where your next job offer will come yet.
- Wear jeans, shorts, t-shirt, muscle shirt or ill-fitting, or bad looking clothing. Ask someone whose opinion you care about how you look – they will tell you.
- Wear pink sunglasses to match with your capri’s that have a large embroidered pink flower on the leg. This is good advice on any day.
- Wear perfume or smoke what smells like an entire pack of cigarettes before attending. Many people are allergic to perfumes and no one likes the smell of stale cigarette smoke.
- Leave your glasses at home if you need them to read. What? You really didn’t think you would have to read anything at the job fair?
More TipsFor some positive tips on making the most of out a career fair, you may also want to review the following sites: