September 01, 2016
Don’t let the media and the news put you down. No matter how bad they say it is companies are always looking to hire the best available staff. If you have the right skills and passion, there will be a job waiting for right around the corner.
How To Stay Positive While Looking For A JobThe key is to remain upbeat. Here are 10 tips to help you stay positive while looking for a job.
1. Keep A RoutineDon’t get into the bad habits of waking up late, sleeping in the afternoons or procrastinating around the house. Get up at your normal time, eat properly and get some exercise (walking is free)!
2. VolunteerYou can do this at a church, hospital, homeless shelter or non-profit organization will open your eyes to people who are less off than you and give you a sense of contribution. There is no greater reward than helping people who are less fortunate than us.
3. Stay Up To Date With What’s Happening In Your IndustryDon’t let yourself fall behind just because you’re not working. The best approach is to learn more about your particular industry. This way you will be ahead of your competition when it comes time to interview.
4. Explore Potential New CareersIt’s never too late to try to learn a foreign language or a new piece of computer software. I remember working with a senior archaeologist of 10 years experience who came to me wanting a change in his life direction. After six months of learning Spanish and then travelling through Spain for another six months, the senior archaeologist is now a junior English/Spanish translator!
5. Positive ThinkingDo not focus on the negatives – you need to be able to bounce back. Concentrate on the skills and knowledge you have. Sitting around saying “what if” all the time is only going to further depress you.
6. Support GroupYou may feel as though you’re the only person in your situation without a job, but guess what – you’re not. Reach out to people for support. There are many groups that provide excellent assistance in the areas of resume writing, interviewing, and job hunting. Aside from the secular groups, there are also many faith groups ready to offer you a supporting hand. Don’t feel ashamed or embarrassed to ask for help. Let people help you change your life.
7. Avoid Negative PeopleNegative thinking is of no value to you. You need to be around positive people and people who can have a positive impact on your life.
8. NetworkMaintain contacts and stay in touch with people. Make sure you network with positive people!! Again, avoid negativity. Negative thinking does nothing to help your situation. Last but not least...
9. Manage Your ExpectationsNot every job you apply for will be a success. Don’t be put off by this. Instead, concentrate on the positives and look at what you achieve each day. For example, you could have applied to three great jobs, connected with two people who are great resources, or found a course or book that will help improve your skills.
10. Don’t Give Up!Jobs don’t find you, you find them! This post was originally published on an earlier date. Photo Credit: Shutterstock
From Your Site Articles