Exercise is often the last thing on our minds when we're at work. But, taking just a few minutes out of your busy day to move could make a big difference in your well-being.
Fortunately, we have the perfect workout routine for your workday. And, you can do everything right at your desk! Here's the quick and easy 5-step workout routine, and why you should take 10 minutes out of your day to do these exercises.
Remember to start with some light stretching before you begin!
Plank knee crunch - 10 each side
Begin in a plank position, placing both hands on your chair or desk, making sure your back is straight. Then, slowly bring your knee up to your elbow, and repeat on the other side. You should be trying to engage your core (squeeze your abs) throughout the entire movement. To increase the difficulty, add a twist.
Squat pulses - 15 total
Stand with your feet between hip-width and shoulder-width apart. Initiate the squat from the hips, not the knees. Pulse at the bottom of the squat before you return to a standing position.
Chair push ups - 10 total
Begin in a plank position, placing both hands on your chair or desk. Then, bend your elbows and lower your body toward the ground, keeping your elbows at about a 45-degree angle. Push back up to a high-plank position, and repeat.
Mountain climber to plank jack - 10 sets
Begin in a plank position, placing both hands on your chair or desk. Use your abs to stabilize this position. Then, pull your right knee up towards your chest, and quickly switch to do the same with the left knee, like you're climbing a mountain. After four mountain climbers, return to a plank position and, like a jumping jack, hop your legs wide and then back together. Do four mountain climbers to two plank jacks.
Quad extension - 10 each leg
While sitting in your chair, place your feet on the floor, about hip-width apart. Then, extend your right knee, lifting your right leg in front of you. Make sure to squeeze your quad when your leg is at full extension. Return to the starting position, and repeat this movement for the left leg.
Reasons To Exercise At Your Desk
1. It will boost your productivity
Sometimes the best cure for that midday slump is to get the blood pumping! Physical activity is a great way to refocus your mind, and you'll go back to work feeling refreshed and re-energized and ready to tackle any assignment that comes across your desk.
2. No equipment needed
Nope, none at all. You don't need to hop on a treadmill or other exercise machine, or worry about weights or resistance bands to reap the benefits.
3. It's quick, easy, and effective
Really, what more could you ask for? With exercises you can do at your desk, like the ones mentioned above, you'll see results in the short term and long term.
Self-care is important, especially in the professional sphere. When you're not at your best, your career isn't at its best. It's about consistency, and taking those few minutes out of your day to do something just for yourself and your well-being.
Want To Be Happier At Work? Exercise Isn't The Only Way...
Lots of studies have shown that exercise can help boost your mood and your self-confidence. And when you exercise at work, that happiness follows you wherever you go, in meetings and conversations with your co-workers.
If you want more tips on how to be happier at work, check out this article!
We encourage you to give this workout a try if you're looking for more ways to be active at work. In less than 10 minutes, you'll stretch your muscles, get your heart rate up, and you won't even have to leave your desk!
Download her FREE at-home workout guide now!
Note: Individuals should always speak to their physician before starting a new exercise program, especially if they have pre-existing injuries or physical conditions, and should only perform physical activity they feel capable of doing.
- 6 Sneaky Ways To Exercise At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers ... ›
- The Negative Effects Of Sitting All Day - Work It Daily | Where ... ›
- 6 Workouts To Do At Your Desk - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go ... ›
- Quick Total-Body EMOM Workout You Can Do At Home - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Easy Ways To Stay Hydrated At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 4 Simple Ways To Be More Active At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- The 5-Minute Stretch Routine To Do Before Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- A Quick & Easy Workout To Do While Working From Home - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- The Perfect EMOM Workout For Busy Professionals - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- A Killer Lower Body Workout To Do After Sitting All Day - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 5 Quick Tips For Walking More At Work - Work It Daily ›