10 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Career TODAY
Your manager is not responsible for your career. You are. They are responsible for your output. So waiting until annual review time to determine your goals and accomplishments is not the best idea.
Here are 10 things you can do today to improve your career...
What Can You Do To Improve Your Career?
- Set small goals
- Stretch yourself
- Get feedback
- Curate your work
- Be curious about your industry
- Get a mentor
- Get a protégé
How Can You Grow Your Career Faster?
If you want to grow your career faster, you need to "work it daily." This means you need to work on your career a little bit every day. Make career growth and development a daily habit, and you'll grow your career faster than you ever have before.
Start growing your career today by doing the following...
1. Set Small Goals Regularly
When it comes to annual reviews, there is so much focus on goals for the year. A year is a long time—too long in fact to set tangible, achievable goals. Therefore, it is far wiser to set smaller goals throughout the year.
Think about your day-to-day work. What could you be doing to elevate that work? Are there skills you could learn to help you advance? Think about this for a bit and then make a list of goals that relate to these items. And then, once you've set the goals, give yourself a deadline to have learned these things.
When you've hit the deadline, give yourself a grade. Seriously. It works. Did you do it? Did you do it well? Then ask someone else how they would score or grade you on these new skills. Then rinse and repeat.
2. Stretch Yourself
The smartest of us say that success is just outside of our comfort zone. So it goes without saying that you must stretch beyond your area of expertise.
Do something that scares you. Don't like public speaking? Start signing up for presentations at work or networking events. Does it terrify you to put your industry thoughts out there? Ask someone for the opportunity to guest post.
Whatever gives you the collywobbles, sign up for it—today.
3. Get Feedback
While self-assessment is important, it is also important to get feedback. And it is important to get feedback all the time.
For example, at the end of each and every meeting I lead, I ask the following questions:
- "What really worked for you?"
- "What would make it even better if?"
You can learn a lot from these two questions. So much about your work product and performance can be gleaned from these two questions. Give it a try and see what you learn.
4. Curate Your Work
Do you have any idea how many amazing things you've done this year? Probably not, because you aren't curating that great work anywhere to revisit it.
There are countless places for you to store this work in a cloud. When you've got a great portfolio of work you've produced and are proud of, it's like writing your resume as you go.
It is also easy to share with your manager at review time. You're better prepared to wow them when you've got yourself visual proof of your awesomeness.
5. Be Curious About Your Industry
Spend time each and every week as a student of your industry or company. Study your industry and company as if you'll be tested on them. Ask questions of people in your space. Ask your manager and colleagues questions. Ask your company's customers how they feel.
Develop thoughtful insights about the industry and your company. And don't be shy about sharing those insights.
Spend time reading blogs, big and small. Spend time reading books about your profession. Read business books that stretch your thinking.
At the end of the day: read!
Reading new things can start conversations when you're networking and can also build your own career with new ways to do things and different work and life hacks to make life flow a little more smoothly.
7. Network Brilliantly
Never, ever, ever send a standard LinkedIn invite. Ever. We cannot stress this enough. Personalize the message and tell the recipient what you have in common, and how you'd like to help them. If you do not know someone, ask someone in your network for an introduction.
Networking brilliantly is about leaving a positive impression. And it isn't just LinkedIn. Attend industry events and local events and meet as many people as you can. This will also help in being curious about your industry.
8. Get A Mentor
Mentors are great resources for all of these elements. Need feedback? Ask your mentor. Need to bounce off industry or company insights? Looking for ways to stretch? Mentor!
9. Get A Protégé
Conversely, a good protégé can also be a tremendous resource to learn from as well. A protégé can bust some of your paradigms. They can also expose you to new thinking and present you with new ways to solve problems and look at things.
10. ABL (Always Be Listening)
Even if you are really happy in your current role, it never hurts to listen to other opportunities and build relationships with new people in the industry. In fact, that's what you're supposed to be doing if you want to grow and improve your career.
Always be open to new opportunities and new connections with people. Plus, it feels really good when you get noticed!
Improve your career today by following the tips above! Remember: If you want to win, you've got to work it daily.
Looking for more ways to improve your career?
Become a member to learn how to UNLEASH your true potential to get what you want from work!
This article was originally published at an earlier date.
- 3 Ways To Improve Your Professional Happiness Using Your Career Decoder Results ›
- 4 Tips For Changing Careers After A Layoff - Work It Daily | Where ... ›
- 3 Steps To Creating A Strategic Career Development Plan - Work It ... ›
- 21 Inspirational Career Quotes For Professionals - Work It Daily ... ›
- 3 Tips For Developing Your Skills At Work - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 4 Ways To Grow Your Career During A Pandemic ›
- 3 Benefits Of Having A Career Plan - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 3 Ways To Build A Strong Work Ethic - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- Why Performance Reviews Are Important (And Helpful!) - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 7 Ways Women Can Find Career Satisfaction (And Happiness) - Work It Daily | Where Careers Go To Grow ›
- 4 Reasons To Set Aside Time For Career Planning - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Professional Development Tips For College Students - Work It Daily ›
- How To Find A Job When There's A Lack Of Good Opportunities ›
- 5 Performance Review Tips - Work It Daily ›
- Career Management: Defining The Process And Purpose - Work It Daily ›
- How To Find Career Purpose (And A Job With Meaning) - Work It Daily ›
- How To Make The "Right" Career Choice - Work It Daily ›
- How To Kickstart Your Career In The New Year - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Things You Should Never Say When Asking For A Raise - Work It Daily ›
- 4 Learning Mistakes Your Organization Can’t Afford To Make - Work It Daily ›
- Want To Move Up The Ladder? Learn The 3 Cs Of Career Growth - Work It Daily ›
- Why Feedback Will Help Your Professional Development - Work It Daily ›
- Are You Fungible In Your Career? (You Don't Want To Be) - Work It Daily ›
- Explaining How Things Work: How To Do It And Why It Matters - Work It Daily ›
- The Process Of Career Management - Work It Daily ›
- 5 Ways To Improve Your Job Search Results - Work It Daily ›
- How To Prepare For Annual Performance Reviews - Live Event - Work It Daily ›
- 6 Tips For Kick-Starting Your Career This Summer - Work It Daily ›
- The #1 Career Skill Every Professional Needs - Work It Daily ›
- The 4 Phases Of Career Development: Which Phase Are You In? - Work It Daily ›
- How To Set Realistic Goals And Deadlines During The Summer - Work It Daily ›
- The Books EVERY Professional Should Read This Year - Work It Daily ›
- How To Advance Your Career, According To 5 Executives - Work It Daily ›